Anyone here do martial arts?

Undecisive

I've been trying to figure out a good martial art to take to pass my time on the weekdays.

Anyone here have experience in martial arts??

I refuse to take Taekwondo, it's gay. Taichi, also not happening.

Undecisive

Yeah no thanks. There are really only 3 places you can do Krav Maga, NYC, LA, and Israel. 99% of Krav Maga instructors went to a week long seminar run by ATA (american taekwondo association the worsts MA association in the world so far) So those places are what people like to refer to as "McDojo's"

Z1107

Actually of you go online to the Israeli krav maga site they have a link for the real American places. There are 78 in the US. There might be one in Charlotte.

bugeye_fever

I did some Brazilian Ju Jitsu for a period of time when I got out here. Hell of a workout and good confidence builder, if you wrestled in highschool or anything you'd have a leg up.

Z1107

My DT's instructor at the academy is a certified krav maga instructor. That shit was intense. No artsy fartsy crap just straight up muscle memory kill or be killed.

Undecisive

BJJ is not really an option for me since I have MACP, i can learn it for free @ group. I was leaning more towards shotokan karate or something that has a sparring competition.

Undecisive

Oh, and there is a local dojo that has a Xing Yi master, he also teaches kung fu and tai chi. However, he will not teacxh Xing Yi and requires you to pay $300 (3 months) up front.

Is this that white lion kung fu place over on sycamore dairy? Fayetteville is pretty bleak on GOOD martial arts, I'm almost tempted to say screw it and just go to Redpoint's MMA gym since I go there to rock climb anyway and Joe turned Pro last year and already offered to train me if I ever wanted to.

Undecisive

So why doesn't he teach Pa Gua? I don't get it?

Also, I'm checking into Sayoc Kali for some superior knife fighting skills.

Undecisive

Hmm interesting. I'm looking at a Shotokan place in Raleigh. The downside is a 70 mile drive for class, but it seems much better than the places in town.

I'm developing a fighting technique that centers on the use of a cell phone as a weapon.

I need to buy a few more iphones to perfect my current moves. My last 3 were broken when I was practicing iphone throws.

iphone-4-broken.jpg

Undecisive

Oh and Edwin, I spoke with Rich (the owner of RLMtai) He's a pretty informative guy. Asked a few questions and he went out of his way to explain them in detail. I'm gonna drop in on him when I get back if you want to join.

Undecisive

Well right now, I'm trying to convince him to offer a lunch time class that way it can fit in to the schedules (except when you go to the field) He was saying that he doesn't have enough people for it but would like to do a lunchtime class also. So that is an option if you want to do it. Besides, you can always practice this stuff while in the field, or while working the auto-x course. HAH. But if you are interested come with me to one of his classes when I get back and we'll talk him into doing a lunch class os we can attend regularly.