Help, one messed up situation here.

11bnuffy

In need of advice...

So I bought my 08 STI late fall of 2010. Ran like a dream and no problems with it what so ever. In April 2011 I had to drive to Virginia for an Army course I had to take. Of course I did my maintence before the long trip (I live in Kansas). Everything checked out fine. So I get to Virginia and did some runs at a track during the weekends. Then one of my rod bearing goes out. I take it to shop called Tune Up Plus there in Virginia Beach. I asked if they were able to handle such a job and they said they could. Me being the noob to the state and town didnt know any better since I hardly had time with the Army course during the week. Tune Up Plus had my car for about 2-4 weeks and 4k later its done. I take my car back to the Navy Base where I was training and it breaks down on my again. I take it back and they say its a timing issue...then a ECU emission recall issue thats causing the car not to start again. So Tune Up Plus has my car towed to a Subaru dealership near by so they can have the ECU updated. Subaru takes a look at it and laughs because whatever the other shop was saying wasnt even close to what was the problem. They is said it was something to do with compression. So they wanted to check the timing on it to see if it was that problem. I allowed Subaru to check since I was starting to get shady of Tune Up Plus. Turns out they ruined my engine. Here is what Subaru had to say:

" I hope you have a real good lawyer and a better bank. I do not know what two year old put this together but parts were all mixed up, heads are destroyed beyond use, other parts are cracked where they were put on with the air tools, head bolts left loose and the the best-whoever put this together used the wrong bell housing bolts and drilled one of the bolts right into the water jacket and one of the cylinders. We have been taking pictures and I will put it all together for you but alot of this is damaged beyond reuse."

I have the pictures and I can see where the damaged been done. Now Tune Up Plus says how do I know Subaru didnt do the damage? So im currently getting a lawyer and will soon be going to court. This is just ridiculous.

So can I have Tune Up Plus pay Subaru for the damage instead of taking it back to them to fix it? And will I be able to sue them?

My car is still sitting at the Subaru dealership in pieces waiting for the next step. Ive been car-less since Mid May..WTF.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I wouldn't let them touch the car ever again. I would sue them for the money you already paid to them and the money it is going to cost to have it fixed the right way plus the time it took out of your busy schedule. You really do need to speak to a lawyer and maybe you can convince the dealer to testify on your behalf as not only a witness but for expert testimony.

Sound like you are in a real pickle and I truly feel for you man. I hope this gets worked out real soon and to your satisfaction.

It burns my ass to here stuff like this. These people should not be in business.

You could also go to our regional forums and alert people in the region. I would post there bad name on every forum I could find. Not sure your lawyer would agree but the only reason I would do that is to alert people of a potential bad egg.

Z1107

I don't know what the laws are like in Virginia but in Georgia you typically get the work done first so when you go to court you file that as damages along with attorney fees:) or you go carless until a ruling from the court to send it to Subaru. But yes after the ruling the court will allow you to have someone else dothe work.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Can you post up some of the pictures. I would love to see the carnage

11bnuffy

1. Timing guides loose
2. Ground straps broke
3. No gaskets used-just liquid gasket
4. Ground strap left loose to the hill holder system
5. Rear main seal properly seated-left partially out
6. multiple screws stripped out

These are just a few of the pics of what I have. Notice the cheap coolant they put too. This is just a wreck. Caused alot of my internals to go to crap as well. Like valves, turbo, etc..

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4205/20110615navarro0002.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5430/20110615navarro0003.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3325/20110615navarro0006.jpg
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9673/20110615navarro0008.jpg
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/1439/20110615navarro0009.jpg
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1083/20110615navarro0013.jpg
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/9540/20110615navarro0014.jpg

Last edited:

11bnuffy

And yes Subaru is willing to help by setting up a presentation as evidence since the other shop is trying to point the figure at them.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Do they have a Facebook page?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
they have a website, tuneupplus.com

Step 1. Write a review with all the pictures and proof of what they did to your motor and all the cost to you.

Step 2. Send them a email since they have 13 stores with a link to the review stating you want action taken.

Step 3. Wait to see if they reply.

11bnuffy

Oh they have replied and the manager said that they arent paying sh*t. Im in the process of talking to my legal assistance and they are trying to find a good lawyer in Virginia. I tried to settle this reasonably but they dont want to own up to their mistakes. So im furious. I just want to go to court ASAP and get this over with.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Oh they have replied and the manager said that they arent paying sh*t. Im in the process of talking to my legal assistance and they are trying to find a good lawyer in Virginia. I tried to settle this reasonably but they dont want to own up to their mistakes. So im furious. I just want to go to court ASAP and get this over with.

I underdtand that 100% that's why you need to do a review. We will warn about 8000 people ASAP.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
1. Timing guides loose
2. Ground straps broke
3. No gaskets used-just liquid gasket
4. Ground strap left loose to the hill holder system
5. Rear main seal properly seated-left partially out
6. multiple screws stripped out

These are just a few of the pics of what I have.

Good lord... yeesh, I'm sorry to see that man, that's some serious hackwork. I hope you come right.

Paul.c

I would say leave the Internet bashing alone until the situation is resolved. Trying to give them a bad name via the Internet could look bad on your part. Just my .02.

11bnuffy

So I finally got my Subi back....had to pay out of own pocket $12,000+. Had to do it since me and my wife are both military and cant afford to share one car. So far my credit card companys are giving me my money back that I paid on the other shop. Now im waiting for my attorney here in Kansas to find me a good lawyer in Virginia and im going for a $30,000 lawsuit. Its such a long process but itll be worth the wait once I see them in court!