Great Cars Ruined/Killed By Manufacturer

Z1107

This thread will be available for general discussion and debate about vehicles that were great but ruined or killed by their manufacturer.

Rules:
All posts are opinions and entitled to the respect that someone is entitled to their opinion. No name calling.
Discussions about any car is allowed.

Z1107

Ill start out with the EVO. Mitsubishi created an icon with EVO that got better with each passing generation until the X. Due to new trends in eco friendliness and its effect on market trends have effectively killed the EVO. Mitsubishi has decided to make a XI after general uproar over the decision to kill the EVO but it will be a non turbo hybrid. Basically the EVO is dead as of 2013/14. What are some of your opinions on this?

Z1107

I'm kinda curious how they plan on using an electric motor to replace a turbo, and still maintain the same performance of the previous generation. Wouldn't that nullify fuel mileage.

STimedic

Amen Edwin! And to add onto your rant, giving the USDM hypereutectic cast crap pistons instead of the forged ones everyone else got! While DSM has been brought up, the second-gen Eclipse. They fucked up with the crap they offered for the 3/4 gens.

6-bolt 4G64's woulda been awesome......

Z1107

Honda Civic. I've owned two in my life, a 93 and a 95 coupe. Those were light tossable cars. The new ones are fat, unagile, crapboxes. A new civic is the same size as an accord 10 years ago. Same with the corolla.

bugeye_fever

Did even the Japanese STI's loose the closed deck block? I thought they just screwed the US by not giving it to us. And I have to agree with the civic, you know its bad when a civic in ST(ie completelly stock motor) wipes up the entire field of STI's and EVO's, not to mention turbo miata's, corvettes, mini's.. the list goes on. It wasn't even a tight course. Was a pro driver though..

I am also upset with honda killing the s2000, and porsche for ending the 997, but I'm sure they will follow it with something even better.

OhMySTi

Since it is ANY car we can talk about here (domestic or foreign) WTF did they do to the GTO? In my opinion, the mid-sixties GTO was one of the best-looking cars ever made. Then GM got stupid and attached the legendary name to that pile from Australia... :roll:

OhMySTi

Take a look at the subframe underneath the car. They are poorly cut and welded at the factory. The job looks so bad that the dealer I used to work for had to buy one back from a customer who drove it for 6 months because it looked like it had frame damage.

Z1107

Did not know that. Out of all the GM brands I thought Holden did the best. The G8 is a pretty nice car.

Z1107

It sucks that GM doesnt sale it to civilians anymore. They just rebadged it as a chevy carprice and marketing to police depts

bugeye_fever

I thought the killed it and where bringing back the f100?

I had no idea that the JDM subie's went to a 2.5 I spent most of my afternoon trying to find stuff on the ej257b without much success. For the awd mini, are you referring to the countryman? I like it quite a bit, but it really isn't very.. mini, lol. If I remember right, prodrive had a hand in the design so it should prove to be pretty crazy:tard:

STimedic

The JDM motors have been semi-closed deck since they started building the Phase 2 blocks iirc......cue RealDealTarheel aka JDM expert!

Also, they don't offer the 2.5 in Japan, as far as I know still using the 207.

The AWD Mini will be too heavy and not a prospect for future ownership for me. I'd rather they bring back the S/C'd Mini they originally offered a few years ago. I've heard bad things about the turbo motors going boom more than Evo's!