STi's Competitors Thread

Z1107

This is a thread for the general discussion of vehicles being released soon or have been that come in direct competition or relative competition of the STi, such as the new Volkswagen Golf R, Ford Focus ST/RS, Mini Cooper S all4, Audi RS3, Hyandai Veloster, etc... This should help cut down on the whoring in other threads.:tard:

Attachments

• volkswagen-golf-r20-630_01.jpg
    volkswagen-golf-r20-630_01.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Ford-Focus_ST_mp8_pic_51276.jpg
    Ford-Focus_ST_mp8_pic_51276.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 65
  • mini_cooper-s_countryman_all4_11_01.jpg
    mini_cooper-s_countryman_all4_11_01.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Audi-RS3-Sportback-front-View.jpg
    Audi-RS3-Sportback-front-View.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 2011-hyundai-veloster-ral-9_460x0w.jpg
    2011-hyundai-veloster-ral-9_460x0w.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

bugeye_fever

Lol, sounds good. And I'm amazed/ashamed that out of all of those, I'd only heard of the Countryman All4. An RS3 would definetly be awesome!

Z1107

Allof those are cars are being released in the states by mid 2013. Volkswagen has openly bragged that the golf R is targeted at the EVO and STi. It's AWD and turbo 4 produces 260hp 250 lbs tqe. There are more cars coming out or already have but I mentioned those above because they are closest in capabilities stock. Chevy is making a performance version of the Sonic, Fiat is releasing the 500 Abarth, new Ford Fiesta possible ST, Alfa Romeo is bringing the 4C but that's more Porsche Caymen territory. And the new Honda Civic Si isn't really in the same class.

Last edited:

Vermont

Allof those are cars are being released in the states by mid 2013. Volkswagen has openly bragged that the golf R is targeted at the EVO and STi. It's AWD and turbo 4 produces 260hp 250 lbs tqe. There are more cars coming out or already have but I mentioned those above because they are closest in capabilities stock. Chevy is making a performance version of the Sonic, Fiat is releasing the 500 Abarth, new Ford Fiesta possible ST, Alfa Romeo is bringing the 4C but that's more Porsche Caymen territory. And the new Honda Civic Si isn't really in the same class.

I wouldn't touch that new golf with a 10-foot pole..... Their "AWD" set up is no more than a front wheel drive system with a four wheel drive setup added on. The only real time you will see the real wheels engage is when the front detect slip.....

The clubman is not even close to a competitor to the STI. It MIGHT ​be able to give a civic SI a run for its money but not at the price....

Z1107

The one I'm most curious about is the Hyundai Veloster. They've said the initial models will be na powered but a performance turbo model based on their rally car will follow. Initial motor will be an na 1.6 DCVVT I4 making around 140 hp and 41 mpg. The following performance model will have Hyundai's new 2.0 I4 turbo making around 180-200 hp but the curb weight for the m/t is 2600 lbs. This should be a fun mountain carver.

Last edited:

Z1107

I wouldn't touch that new golf with a 10-foot pole..... Their "AWD" set up is no more than a front wheel drive system with a four wheel drive setup added on. The only real time you will see the real wheels engage is when the front detect slip.....

The clubman is not even close to a competitor to the STI. It MIGHT ​be able to give a civic SI a run for its money but not at the price....

read this
http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen/golf/2012/2012-volkswagen-golf-r-first-drive.html

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Lol, sounds good. And I'm amazed/ashamed that out of all of those, I'd only heard of the Countryman All4. An RS3 would definetly be awesome!

I've seen a couple of RS3 on this side of the world - we tend to get the euro spec quite quickly (Audi's are real popular here, hell I owned one myself). Smoked a couple of them too :tard:

Vermont

Just read it.....

So what your saying is that I am correct? For the same price as a brand new STI base you get a car with similar performance to a WRX? O and by the way it still has a crappier AWD system.... The only reason to buy a golf is if the STI,WRX and the EVO is sold out.....

I have yet to read anything about the Hyundai Veloster honestly so I cant say good or bad yet. What I will say is that Hyundai has been making an effort to be seen as a legitimate brand recently. The quality on all of their cars has gone up greatly. Also the Hyundai Genesis is no joke.

Having said all that the only car I would ever think of buying beside the STI would be the Ford Focus. That is only if the new RS will have AWD here in the states.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
^ I'm with Vermont on this one. The only reason I can think you'd go for one is the 'refinement' factor (VW / Audi) - but performance wise, nah... exactly the reason I switched.

Z1107

Since Ford hasn't decided to make a new RS yet, all we are getting here is the ST, which according to motor trend is only going to be FWD.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
ST's are dime a dozen here, and full of piss and vinegar. Butt ugly paint jobs, and real easy to speed on by...

Z1107

Rumors are Dodge is bringing back the SRT-4 on the new Guillardo frame Fiat is bringing to the US replacing the caliber. Maybe SRT boys will finally have something to brag about.

bugeye_fever

lol, srt... Only thing I like about the Audi's are the RS line, they seem to have things pretty sorted out. my buddy has an S4 which is really nice though, effing Leather Recaro's!!?? haha I can definetly see that Hundia.. er whatever is really stepping it up, but I'm not convinced by the Genisis, that is until they drop the V8 in as a factory option.

Z1107

We give EVO owners alot of hell but SRT4 owners are consistently the biggest douchebags I've ever come across.

Z1107

I love how they say their cars are import killing american muscle when the cars were made in Mexico or Canada. My cars superior to yours even though I can only go in a straight line but its still superior. :lol:. If they make a new SRT4 its going to be based of the Alfa Guillardo so every time they open their mouth about mopar power you can just look at them and say, isnt your car an italian import.

Z1107

So after reading Subarus plan for the next WRX/STi kind of curious how Subaru plans on staying competitive with the competition if they switch to the 1.6L engine they are planning on. They say the WRX will be rated at 270hp and the STi 300hp. Won't that engine be tapped out power wise or close to it?