New Member 2006 STI

Hi all new member here from North Dallas.
I got my STI back in March after looking and kicking around the idea for over a year I just decided to go make it happen on day. 72 hours later of looking and test driving and dealing, and a trip to the bank later I had my new toy for the weekends.
I found out about this site a few weeks ago after picking up a card at a local store and decided to pop on. It Looked good with useful information and here I am.
With a longtime experience with another similar type vehicle site I know these can be great sources for ideas, troubleshooting and pooling knowlege. There is always something new to learn or a better/faster/easier way to do it.
I have been in the auto biz with a local dealer parts department for many years and working on my own cars myself for 15+ I almost always do my own work unless I feel its way over my head. I basicaly built my first car, so I know a few things, or better yet know a few things NOT to do, but can always learn more, but I will also admit that subies and their design set up under the hood are more or less new to me. Last subie I had was a 88 model and ithis is nothing like I remember. :shock:

Stuff my car has:
Perrin Turbo
Perrin Catback and downpipe
SPT CAI
SPT front and rear tower struts
SPT Radiator Shroud
COBB Accessport
COBB Turbo heatshield

Future plans:
-When the stuts need replacing I will probably put Tiens on them. Right now they do not need replacing but eventually they will and I am fine with the stock ones on their now.
-The new tires that were on it when I bought it I do not like, they are Goodyear Eagles, they handle great I think but the road noise from then at highway speeds in very noticible. I definately wont be putting those back on them when it is time to replace.
-Pillar or dash gauge pod (or both). I am waiting for the super summer high temps here to drop, come late sept or october I will probably tackle this project one weekend. Still reserching what to use and so forth but I am very partial to Defi gauges at the moment.
-Find or custom make a CAI airbox, the air temp coming in seems too high to me.
-Replace or repaint the roof spoiler. It has to stains from where what looks like bird crap stained the black paint on the spoiler and it drives me crazy to look at it!!:tard:
-Find a factory service manual.

Below is a pic I snaped with my crappy cell phone of my car in the garage AKA 'the lair'

Attachments

• sub1.JPG
    sub1.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 47

Z1107

-Pillar or dash gauge pod (or both). I am waiting for the super summer high temps here to drop, come late sept or october I will probably tackle this project one weekend. Still reserching what to use and so forth but I am very partial to Defi gauges at the moment.

Take a look at the Prosport EVO series gauges, good looking, great performance, and relatively inexpensive.

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad to see another DFW STI owner.

Did you get the card from COBB? If so thats great! The guys at that shop are awesome.

Let me know if you have any questions or need a hand with your car (when its not 105*).

Hey yeah it was COBB where I picked it up. Can you believe it actually rained this morning - a real rain storm? It only got up to 105 today! Its cooling off!
Id definately be ok with help, pointers or just meeting up and just chatting for a bit. You are just downthe road!

Last edited:
Take a look at the Prosport EVO series gauges, good looking, great performance, and relatively inexpensive.

Thanks for the tip!
Those do look nice even if they do say EVO on them GRRRRR :p
How well can you read them during the day? It looks like they might be a little hard to see in the daylight?
The clear lens series dont look bad either.

Z1107

Im running Halo series gauges now from the same company because EVO's were backordered due to the tsunami, but I believe Holy is running them in his subie and LOVES them. Im ordering the rest of my gauges in the EVO series. Plus prosport gauges are fully adjustable for lighting conditions.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
:welcome: to the team.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Welcome! There's a thread on here with a lot of service manuals, including the 06, by the way.

Z1107

Are you guys not getting the cool mornings yet? It's dropping into the low 60's at night and the morning but its still 98 by mid afternoon here in the ATL.

Z1107

I was pretty young when my dad was stationed at Sam Houston but the one thing I remember about living in Texas was the damn heat. I miss Seattle every summer.

Well I ordered a bunch of the evo gauges earlier this week. Thanks again for recommending them to me!
I am having a difficult time deciding on what brand of center dash triple gauge pod to buy. There is so much stuff out there its hard to weed out the quality from cheap crap.
Ideally I would like:
1) moulded or prepainted to match the dash color correctly, prefer moulded.
2) not cheap flimsy crap.
3) good snug fit
If someone could point me to a brand that would be great.

This little project should keep me busy for a weekend. :) If I am proactive and remember Ill take pictures and do a write up once I get started.