2003 Wagon Upgrades?

ChrisA215

I own a 2003 Wrx Wagon its completely stock i know my fair share about the car but do not know everything. i was starting to consider upgrades, i was thinking of a cobb tunning access port and a new exhaust for starters any recommendations on upgrading a 2003 wagon wrx?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
:welcome: to the team first off. Second what goals do you want for your car?

ChrisA215

the goal im aiming for with my car is to have performance and audio. i love my sub they are 12' MTX thunder 5500 comp subs running through a 1600 watt pyramid amp. They are under powered but with this amp they definatly gave my back seat passengers in my old mazda 626 a nice back massage. I dont want to go to crazy with tuning the car but i want it to be sexy and fast. :) My friend whom has a 2010 SPT wrx recommended that but i wasnt sure if there where things i should watch out for it being the wagon model and all.
Total i was looking to do this:
Cobb AP
cat back exhaust
maybe a new up pipe as well
Tint the windows
Install my amp and subs ( i have the 6 disc/tape deck) head unit
maybe lowering it a tiny bit just for better handling i dont want to slam it cause i want to utilize the AWD and i have to deal with snow in my area

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome! Thanks for the support and advice you guys have already gave me!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I would start with the Cobb Accessport first. Then do exhaust.

Z1107

Our Elite guys would know this better but I have not heard positive things about lowering springs, if youre going that road might just want to fork up some dough for coilovers, I may be wrong, just heard some bad things.

ChrisA215

so i was planning on doing the cobb ap and cat back first after that im trying to build it in stages that being he first step where should i go from there and once i get those two things what map should i run on the cobb ap but its mostly going to be for running around the street! thanks again to everyone for their support and advice!

Td_d

Commander In Chief
so i was planning on doing the cobb ap and cat back first after that im trying to build it in stages that being he first step where should i go from there and once i get those two things what map should i run on the cobb ap but its mostly going to be for running around the street! thanks again to everyone for their support and advice!

Or you could go open source, get a tactrix for a 1/3rd of the price of an AP, and have people on this forum help you create a tune customised to your car... Just saying ;) I have to do my punt for opensource!

ChrisA215

i dont want the exhaust to be heard from a mile away cops around my area enjoy pulling over loud cars i want the nice low rumble but it sound good and recombination on turbo back exhaust ?

Z1107

I've got 3 inch straight pipes which is LOUD!!!, until I put and HKS can on with a silencer. Now it's only loud at WOT.

Z1107

Gimmick is making a copy of the Cobb turboback and from everything Ive heard its pretty good, only 450. Or pay 1200 for the Cobb. Megan Racing has there black catless going for 590.

ChrisA215

i dont want anything to loud but being able to still hear the boxster engine is there anything i should look out for in checking out exhaust systems im weary on knock off brands

Z1107

Check out import image racing they are the only guys I know who carry it. Also Megan has an offshoot brand called M2 and they have a turboback for 350.

Vermont

I would not order from Import Image if I were you..... I had a very bad experience with them when I bought my EWG from them. Good price.Piss poor customer service. I would say buy a Borla cat back. Very nice and very distinctive sound. Only problem is that one like mine for my GR retailed for $1200...... Yeah it hurt.