Stop me from buying a Ford Fiesta/Focus

Paul.c

So in my pursuit of a fuel efficient inexpensive DD, I accidentally stumbled upon the Ford Fiesta and Focus. Both cars fit the bill of what I need but neither car fits what I want. They can be autocrossed but not sure how fun it would be. Another main focus is being able to travel around Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma to mountain bike, so the 40 mpg is very appealing. But it's still a boring little hatchback. I just keep telling myself that by buying a cheap DD now I will be able to have a fun car in the nearer future. Let me know what y'all think.

Flame suit on

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Your nutz, but I understand. Once you do it your gonna regret it. You just have to tell yourself that this is for the best.

Paul.c

Miata, reciever hitch, bike rack.

I need seating for 4 atleast, preferrably 5. We actually use my car when family visits because the wife has a mini and we can't stand our families Arkansas driving style in the city. So unfortunately two seaters or even 2 doors are not ideal for my situation. I wish I could just order a ford focus st now!

Paul.c

Also, this is not something I WANT to do it is something I NEED to do. Ever since I bought my car I said I would keep it forever and eventually make it into a track/autocross monster. But it would free up alot of money and help reduce our CC debt substantially quicker. Not that our debt is huge it is just an annoying burden. I'm trying to be mature about the whole situation and not rash like I was in purchasing my STi.

/rant

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I say do what you need to do pal. You can always come back to an STi. :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Paul... Some how I feel what your going through. :lol: I hope you do get the fiesta... this way I don't have to feel so bad about my purchase :tard:

Paul.c

Paul... Some how I feel what your going through. :lol: I hope you do get the fiesta... this way I don't have to feel so bad about my purchase :tard:

We are both sacrificing our current vehicles so that in the furture we can attain awesomness again. I totally plan on getting another performance car but not one that is going to be limited due to having to be a DD.

Paul.c

I appreciate the suggestions. Here is a short list of needs:
1: hatch for dog crate and other bulky items
2: 30+ mpg
3: seating for 4-5 comfortably.
4: cheap

The vehicle I am replacing my STi with will never "replace" my STi. It is meant to be a DD/Commuter car. A simple reliable car to get from a-b. This concept is foreign to me, I have always had a car/truck/jeep that was extremely purpose built wether it be for offroading, mudding, or autocross. I am not comfortable with buying a boring car just for transportation. However, when I think about the amount of financial stress it will releive for me and my wife and the amount of new places I will be able to mountain bike it really seems promising. I may or may not auto cross this new car. Initially I wanted a pickup truck, but fuel economy is a huge factor in this decision. The Ford ecoboost f-150 is what I really want, but price is too high. I still really like the mini cooper s but it is just not practical to have 2 minis in one household. I regularly drive family and friends around Dallas. Trust me guys I am not excited about this transition in my life and do not look forward to seeing my Sti go, but I have to a man about this and do whats best for me and my wife. What kind of man would drive a Ford Fiesta? LOL.

Just so you all know, I am writing all of this to justify to you all as well as myself why I am doing this. I constantly have to remind myself of why I am doing this. Also in case any of you were wondering this WAS NOT my wife's idea. I came up with this and my wife has told me everytime I talk about it (constantly) that I do not have to sell my car.

/rant

Z1107

After reading it further in depth 4 door Tacoma. Has the space, best fuel economy in class, you can haul stuff, and to be frank it sounds more of what you are looking for.

Paul.c

After reading it further in depth 4 door Tacoma. Has the space, best fuel economy in class, you can haul stuff, and to be frank it sounds more of what you are looking for.

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately the fuel economy is still not what I am looking for. I have been looking at the 4 door taco from the start of this whole ordeal.

Here is the deal, in order for me to justify making this change the financial differences have to be substantial. If I am buying a vehicle that gets the same MPG as my current car and I am only saving $100/mo then it is not worth it to me to sell my STi. However if I can cut my fuel costs in halfish and also lower my monthly payments by $100/mo then it is worth it to me. Right now my STi is just a DD/commuter, I have not been able to autocross all year due to fuel costs and trying to seriously focus on debt reduction. I can totally go on living with the STi and its associated baggage, but I have chosen not to. Basically it has to be a substantial change in order for me to justify it.