New Subie Guy needs help.

mikezguy32688

For the introductions!

Let me start with a history of my dealings with my car.

I was deployed March 09-March 10. During that time I spent, Literally, 8-9 months looking for this car. I knew I wanted a Blue, low miles , low mods, decent priced STI. I finally found one and bought it with that deployment money. And it was my 22nd Birthday Present to myself. Yay :D (2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 34K miles 3 owners ; minus the below mention mods it was pretty much mint)

I drove it for almost a year with no mods other than a Stage 2 Reflash From a Cobb AccessPort. (it already had a very sexy sounding Perrin Exhaust installed and Perrin Downpipe). I had taken it to the subaru dealership and let them look at it to make sure there was nothing super wrong with it...and they only thing they found was that the rear struts were dying , which was pretty common in that year.

So I started looking around for shop in the El Paso area which is my current (almost 4 years running) duty station. After some time I finally found one, it seemed pretty legit I looked at a lot of the guys work and listened to his stories and it all seemed more or less legit. (this will then you will learn to be my undoing) =[

So I started Planning swapping out the stock suspension for some full coilovers. In the mean time I picked up some 5Zigen Pro Racer N= Wheels 18X8.5 wrapped in very nice 245 Yokohama S.Drive Tires ..this was to replace the 17X7 215 garbage MSR wheels ( the previous owners had taken the BBS Wheels /cry =/ ) I also replace the Stock head unit with a Alpine unit...which was disastrous took 8.5 hours for them to install at a very large multi location audio super store called "audio express" if you live in the el paso area....don't ever go there. I also picked up a Perrin Short Ram Intake which I Installed myself. ( I am a computer builder by hobbie since i was like 14 and my mechanical skills are kinda meh but the install was very straight forward)

In the Winter/Spring of 2011 is where things start getting fun. Through the shop I had picked out to help me with my work I could not do my self as I had mentioned before, Evolution Racing, I had picked out a set of Ksport Coilovers and Perrin Sway bars to help stiffen up and lower the ride to further aid in the handling/travel/and weight transfer of the car.

Later the owner told me that AMS Performance, (the owner has that connection through them, because he has AMS's clone drag Evo 8 which i saw with my own eyes and that thing is stupid fast, I also got the opportunity to Meet Mitch and Eric ** I believe that is their names** Mitch is the one of the pro tuners and Eric ** is a Pro mechanic ( Note this is all kind of grey and I don't know how valid all of that is so don't go spreading false info about these guys I don't even know how legit they even are). ...... AMS Performance was sending Mitch** to come to el paso to tune a bunch of cars. There was supposed to be 12 or so Cars Total amongst Which were some GT-Rs a bunch of Evo's a few STIs a SRT 4 and a DSM and like a couple EK hatches more or less. ---- at this point I was like well shit, if AMS is going to be tunning cars let me get on the Rotated Big Turbo Train and build this car to about 400WHP and let AMS Tune it. (HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE =D)

Now for the shopping spree. (This will then end up braking my bank, but I didn't Know it at the time).

I looked to TreadStone Performance for the parts for my build. I am not going to list every single part because the list is retarded long but I hyper link all the cool stuff =D.

1) http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...ubaru+WRX+STi+Rotated+Mount+Turbo+Upgrade+Kit turbo kit not bad for 1800

2)http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...t_key=149&prodname=Subaru+WRX+STi+Intercooler Extra Big to keep things cool

3)http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...rodname=Subaru+WRX+Sti+Turbo,+Cold+Air+Intake keep her breathing right

4)http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...me=Deatschwerks+Injectors+Subaru+STi+2004-06+ 1100 CCs I know its massive gotta feed the beast...plus i figured that you could never go wrong with to much fuel...and that the AMS could work with them to get the tune

5)http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...odname=Subaru+WRX+STI+Walbro+255lph+Fuel+Pump do i need to say anything...really?

6) http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...key=149&prodname=Subaru+WRX+STi+Oil+Catch+Can herp a derpin' ...its a neccessaty ...isn't a Air/Oil Seperator better? ( no idea really)

7)http://www.treadstoneperformance.co...ame=Subaru+WRX+STi+Turbo+Kit,+NGK+Spark+Plugs gotta have the spark of life

8)http://www.treadstoneperformance.co..._key=564&prodname=6262+Billet+Precision+Turbo should have linked this sooner...I was going to get the 35R...but after some research people say this turbo is like a 35R but on CRACK...that billet dual Ball bearing turbo makes things better plus its supposed to hit really really HARD...oh and AMS uses these turbos in their builds. =D

I also picked up a Turbo Timer and Boost Controller with boost Sollinoid both from HKS

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=3723 Boost Contoller ....I later learned that I wasted my money on that seeing as how a compentent tuner with the Cobb can do what that Boost Controller can do and even more!

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=3592 Turbo Timer because really.... who wants to sit in their car in the hot el paso sun waiting 10-15 minutes for your turbo to cool down....not this guy.

I also picked up a stage 2+ clutch from Spec I believe ...i think there is more but i don't remeber it all...plus i need to get copies of all my invoices from the shop...there are like 4-5 papers total.

Now where things go from happy to sad really really quick...over a period of time of course.

It was April, there I was super happy and stoked out of my mind becuase my dream of having a built sleeper STI was about to start to take shape. I had freshly detailed my car and put a fuel in it. And Handed over my car to the shop. The build time was supposed take less then a month and I was super excited. I dropped it off and then went to the field. About week 3 I had called over there and they said that they were working on it and I asked for pics ( you know how it goes PICS OR IT NEVER HAPPEND) So I got pics sent to my phone and the car wasn't even close to being done...it was like half way. But I was just like Whatever they "know" what they are doing ...well weeks turned into months. I called and didn't get calls back. I started fearing the worse. I finally got a number of a guy who worked there and I called him. He told me that, ( month 2) the car isn't finnished things are all jacked up at the place but he'd keep me posted.

Month 3 rolls around I am really pissed I want my car!! I contacted a friend who works at Subaru. He is the lead mechanic advisor for subaru. He owns a built wrx runs 11s in the 1/4 35R turbo etc. PPG built Straight Cut Tranny etc. He told me, dude, you need to get your car. I'm not telling you what to do but things don't sound right. Oh yeah by the way...don't let them drive it.

I called back over there and they said they were still working on it...still. But they had finished the bolts on (it still needed a paint job on the bumber i had replace due to an accident from a 18Wheelers tire exploding on I 10 and destorying my bumper. And that they had drove it. I freaked out. I begged them please please please don't F**** drive my F**** car. They were like ok w/e.

At the end of that month I was so anxious. I called them and told them. I am comming today paying you my remaining balance and taking my car. They argued but it isn't tunned. I frankly told them you have taken way too long and I don't really care at this point in time. ( I was told by the Subaru guy, about the 04 TGV Delete that needed to take place. Evolution didn't know about it. And also told me that those Deasthwerks injectors are garbage , from his own personal experiance and that I will need to get TGV Deleted Tumblers a Different Fuel Rail System to support Top Feed Injectors and to go with Injector Dynamics 1,000 CC injectors and that I had wasted my money on the Boost Controller because a good tuner can get it done with the Cobb software.)

I picked up my car and payed them. they handed me my grill that they didn't put on and a part to the front axle 0.o really?  I inspected my car.  The Turbo was all rusty and the engine bay seemed really dirty.  The interior of my car was destroyed.  Oil stains all over my interior: seats floor carpet floor mats back seats ....the cealing .... the trunk was all dirty and oiled up and the water/meth pump was put in a place that I asked them not to put it because I need my spare to be in its place and not  sliding all over the back of the trunk.   They DID wash the outside of my car...but it was horrible...i could have payed a bunch of kids to do that kind of a job.  OH ANDDDDDD there had been a cat living in my car it smelled bad and i found white hairs all over the interior.  SO I WAS LIKE WTFFFFFFFF!

I then started questioning the workmenship of their Labor. 

The tow truck showed up with a dolly mechanizm for the rear wheels...I asked for a long bed, but I guess this was the next best thing.

Subaru then did .... a month later.....A compression and Leak Down Test.; Which came back bad. Piston ring on cyl 4 was blown and my BRAND NEW Spark Plugs were fouled black black black.  So Evolutions driving of my car, broke it. Able, the Subaru guy took pics and sent them to Joe, the Owner of GoodSpeed Performance out in Arizona , Scottsdale I believe.

He said and i Quote via text From Goodspeed " OMG that's got to be one of the messiest installs I have seen. The Turbo is so rusty already. I can't believe they charged him 12K for that. You are going to have to re do the boost control lines. They are all wrong. You will need to go through everything on this car. I feel bad for Michael"

=[

So now I don't know what to do. I don't have the money to rebuild the engine or order even any more parts for that matter. I can't drive my car.; Its been sitting at the Subaru Dealership for like for ever now. I can try to go to court and see what happens but I can still loose the case....which means I will have to sell my dream away.

Any one want to help / give advice, It would be greatly appreciated.

I have a ton of pics on my Facebook so if you want to look just add me Michael Zarate. Email .... mikezguy32688@yahoo.com

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Holy intro! What will you need? Oh yeah :welcome: to the team.

mikezguy32688

After living here since 08...seems to be that all the locals like to screw over military guys....even the dealerships gouge as much money as they can out of military personnel. This part of Texas really isn't part of America it is more Mexico than anything else. I don't think negotiations would even be a liable route to undertake. My only Options would be to sell it, create very good legal case and win to then rebuild/finish the car; or lose and be stuck trying to sell it. Though if I did sell it would be perfect for some one who a) has 10K laying around for an engine rebuild or b) has recently wrecked their car with a engine that still breaths(preferably already built) and they can just buy the car and swap engines and have a spare engine to boot! That person can then have a 400-600WHP MONSTER. XD

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Take them to court. I have seen this over and over again. It's so sad. I feel super bad for you. :(

mikezguy32688

Its at the Subaru Dealership, because Abel the guy who pretty much helped my rescue my Subie from the hands of the enemy, told me not to drive it, told me that they shouldn't drive it(if they knew what they were doing) Informed me about the TGV Delete necessity told me about how poor quality the BIG Deastchwerks injectors were and about the need for a upgraded fuel system( if the shop knew what they were doing they would have known to do that or at least told me) .

I don't know how bad the engine is...it turns over and runs with a funny idle (obviously not tuned)...it has a blown Piston Ring on the #4 Cyl. and the spark plugs are bad. Essentially the engine will be needed to be torn apart to see how much damage has been done. I don't know how many miles of , obviously hard/long driving, they did to it under ULTRA Rich conditions...but what i have read being rich like that will foul up spark plugs and possible effect the valves and can cause cylinder damage...all of course depending.

On a positive outlook...if I do win the money i need, I am going to just rebuild forged and just go balls out on Cosworth parts (any suggestions or knowledge on them). I kinda want to stroke it out. Keeping the power band nice and fat and under the 8k threshold. Trying to keep the beast under control and not go too crazy, at least with Cobb Access Port I can have multiple tunes ; eco (highway driving lul) moderate (stock HP levels) , street (400ish) track (500ish).

Thanks for the positive feedback...currently under lawyer investigation and getting the ball rolling on case winning. =D

** in the mean time I think I will upload some photos**

ZachTTLM

Welcome to the forum! This is a horrible experience that you are dealing with and no one should deal with this! However you have a certified subaru mechanic that can prove the workmanship on the car was not legit, you have pictures to show the faults of the build and you have not driven the car. You have a cut and dry case from my view. Get a lawyer and take them to court. Far as rebuilding it I have many friends in the military that have access to the garage on the barricks, is this a possability for you too?? If so friend up with some of the guys that are on your base that are skilled mechanically and rebuild it. Any questions or problems you can count on the guys here on this site as well as contact us we will all be happy to help you through it! First thing first take care of the guys that ruined your car... Good luck with it all and let us know if there is anything we can do.

ZachTTLM

Another route to take is also contacting the Better Business Bureau and turn them in as well

gerwulf

Sorry to hear about your STI, you are probably about $3,000 away from getting it back to running. I blew the ringlands on my #4, yanked the motor, spent a load of money on a short block and lots of other parts, put it all together and now I am waitning on a base tune to get it fired up and then a dyno tune. I say, keep the car, save up your money and try again.

Scott Stokes

To bad your not in florida. I would tear it apart for u at no cost. Are soldiers deserve more than this. Welcome to the team