Stupid Questions

GTrippa

You all will probably want to slap me after hearing these...

What is the part/parts that make the turbo high-pitched spewing sound? And is it just customary on a STi or on any Subaru 4-cyl turbos including the WRX's and such?

Thanks

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I think the noise you are referring to comes from the turbo itself. I think it comes from the speed at which the turbine spins. Someone else wanna chime in to make sure I explained it right.

You all will probably want to slap me after hearing these...

What is the part/parts that make the turbo high-pitched spewing sound? And is it just customary on a STi or on any Subaru 4-cyl turbos including the WRX's and such?

Thanks

All turbos when spooling make some noise. :tup:

You can hear it well on semi trucks some times.

My exhaust drowns out most of my turbo's noise.... I miss it. :(

ZachTTLM

also remember the only stupid question is one that is never asked...

SleepyBear

thats why i like this site....if you would have asked that over at NASIOC.COM, man they would have done nothing but bitch bitch bitch....

Undecisive

the way you described your question, to me it doesnt sound like you are talking about the spooling of the turbo itself, it sounds like you are talking about the blow off valve, a blow off valve makes noise when you shift or let off the throttle while the turbo is under load. it dumps the pressure back into the system since subaru uses a recirc valve, but there are others that dump straight to the atmosphere. this sound is what most people think of when they think of a turbo car.

Undecisive

He's talking about a dump to atmosphere BOV. They will only destroy your ringlands if you aren't properly tuned to incorporate the dump.