Need general advice

CallumBix

I just purchased an 04 STi and was wondering if anyone had general advice on just about anything? I'm especially interested in general maintenance because I love this car and want it to last, but anything I can't learn from the dashboard or owners manual would be appreciated. When it comes to this car I am a complete noob.

Z1107

As a former employee of a Toyota/Scion/Subaru/Hyundai dealership chain, the motor oil you get at a dealership is crap. Its cheaper crap than what you get at an autoparts store. It might be labeled subaru oil but all it is is basic motor oil with a label slapped on it make it look as though its especially made for your car. UPGRADE to Amsoil.

bugeye_fever

Check the General forum for a sticky with electronic versions of the factory service manuals. Thats probably some of the absolute best info for a new owner.

UndrWrldAssasin

Is there any legitimacy behind a recent statement about oil changes I have heard lately. I have heard that an oil change with a turbo engine is done differently compared to a non turbo engine.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Here's something about owning that car that no one will tell you until it's too late....

IT IS A TRAP!

Seriously. Once you start playing with it, it will suck you dry and beg you for more money... the scary part?

YOU WILL DO IT AND YOU WILL THINK IT IS ALL YOUR IDEA!

It's really the spirit of Subaru claiming your mortal soul and demanding more and more upgrades, getting you hooked like a fat kid in an ice cream store with gift certificates.

Just a warning really.

Enjoy the ride! We all do.:tard:

Paul.c

Is there any legitimacy behind a recent statement about oil changes I have heard lately. I have heard that an oil change with a turbo engine is done differently compared to a non turbo engine.

I believe the only difference is the frequency in which you change it, nothing different in the way you change it.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
- Check your oil every time you fill up with gas.

- Do NOT EVER bounce the rev limiter. There should never be a need to redline the car or even approach it. You have globbs of low end toque. Use that to your advantage and shift sooner.

- do a compression and leak down test now. even though it may be running good now, do it as a base line to determin future problem and/or to gauge how you engine is doing as time goes on.

- log log log LOG. To determine if your car is healthy, logging can determine issues you may not even be aware of. We can guide you how to do this and we can analyze the logs for you if you need assistance doing so.

- Get your self some gauges... At the very least I always recommend an Oil Pressure, Boost and Wide Band AFR gauges.

All of these are preventative steps, but take it from a person who replaced 6 motors, andt all of these together will greatly improve the longevity of your car in the end. Knowing is the key and you can stop impending doom in it's tracks if you are aware.

JL-07STi-LTD

I use the oil that subaru puts in the sti's you think that is good enough?

As a general statement...if you have to ask "Is this good enough?" It probably isnt. I have ran alot of different oils in my car; Royal Purple, Redline, Mobile1, Rotella T6...Ive wanted to try Amsoil, but until recently I didnt know of a dealer in the area. I plan on switching to the Amsoil Zrod soon. Lots of great reviews, and like others have said, Amsoil is quality stuff!

As the resident 3 04STi and 1 05 STi owner I can go on for days about what to do so Ill ask what you want to do with the car? Auto X, Drag, Track, Street, trailerqueen????

As for maintance on a car you just bought, heres my system:
Oil change
Trans fluid change
Diff fluid change
Coolant swap
Brake bleed and flush
Power steering bleed and flush
Clutch slave cylander bleed and flush
Change front and rear O2 sensors
New intake filter
Inspect Brake pads

Thats what I always do on a new car I buy. From there, the sky and your budget are the limits!!!

Like Gino is saying, it all depends what you would like to do, or what your future goals are. That list he mentioned is pretty much a Subaru Standard maintenance interval at I believe 60,000 miles. Its definately a good thing to do. They always say cover your own, so the only way to be absolutely sure everything is good, is if you make it that way. By changing all fluids, and inspecting major wear items, you are only helping yourself, and you have the right of mind knowing your car is good to go...

Here's something about owning that car that no one will tell you until it's too late....

IT IS A TRAP!

Seriously. Once you start playing with it, it will suck you dry and beg you for more money... the scary part?

YOU WILL DO IT AND YOU WILL THINK IT IS ALL YOUR IDEA!

It's really the spirit of Subaru claiming your mortal soul and demanding more and more upgrades, getting you hooked like a fat kid in an ice cream store with gift certificates.

Just a warning really.

Enjoy the ride! We all do.:tard:

No JOKE! Once you replace 1 part, the fever will set in. It will be endless, you'll find yourself spending hours researching the next performance part you want to buy. Before you know it, you'll be balls deep in a $10,000 build. Don't let that stop you though. There are not many things in life better than an extremely fast car! Even selling the car wont help...you'll just wish you hadn't sold it, and then you'll go out and buy another! :lol:

Vermont

Don't let all the doom and gloom scare you away man. While yes the our engines might be a tad bit more delicate than the Evo 4g63. That does not mean they are made of glass. We also come with a very stout drive line. Speaking from personal experience here the only way to blow out an STI transmission is be acting like a complete moron... Also something to take into consideration, drive the car. These cars are made to be run and run hard. We have no need for a turbo timer so cross that off your list right now. Our turbos are water cooled so after a hard run a few seconds of idle with normalize the turbo temps and be good to shut off.

Along with every one else I would highly suggest changing to a better full synthetic oil. I use Amsoil as well but from what I have heard red line is a very good brand as well. Also the stock Subaru blue filters are crap, worse than crap. They are made by a company called honeywell up in canada. They are the same people who produce most OEM oil filters and also the Fram line of filters.... Stay away from them they are of a cheep cardboard filter design and will cause problems with sludge under heavy use. I personally have us Mobil 1 filters on all my applications, but honestly any of the higher quality filters will work (Mobil 1, Bosch, and K&N).

When you start to mod your car (and you will it is only a matter of time) let us know what you are thinking of doing, as a whole this board has a very large repertoire of knowledge; but most of all, relax, make your self at home here and most importantly enjoy that STI!

ZachTTLM

We also recommend timing belt and component replacement at 80k miles. Timing belt failure is fatal to the engine.