quick question

2004STI

so im living in san antonio. and where i am living at there is an E85 gas station less than 10 miles form my house... so would you recommend that i go ahead and switch or just keep running 93 (please note i would get a tune for it first)

but what i want to know is what do yall recommend as far as upgrading injectors, fuel pump, etc... what all would i need to do something like this...

bugeye_fever

I found a link yesterday that helped me answer that question myself

http://www.megasquirt.info/flexfuel.htm

Its got alot of other info won't really help much but halfway down is a calculater for using estimated crank hp to figure needed flow rate for e85. It outputs in lb/hr, but multiply that by 10.5 to get cc/min. For example if my goal was 430 crank hp (18g-xt) so I'd need 92.2 lb/hr injectors which equates to 968.1 cc/min. So I'd probably go with 1000cc injectors. There's really alot more variables to get super acurate, but this would be a good place to start.

2004STI

thanks for the info guys helps alot just for basics really. i will be talking to my tuner about it very soon i just wanted to get kinda of a feel for what was to come. once again thanks for the input!

2004STI

yea i have checked all of that which is why i was planning on picking up a cobb AP (acctually doing very soon) but doing that and having two maps (i for E85 and another for 93 octane)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
First you should read this thread. http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?205-All-about-E85. It will answer just about any question you have about E85.

Although top feeds are good it is not necessary to convert. You can easily find 850 or 1000 cc side feed injectors. If your goal is to maintain the stock turbo then you will need, at a minimum, injectors and a fuel pump and a tune. Everything else is optional (but always a good idea) when switching to E85

2004STI

yea i was definitely going to consult a tuner (also have them do the installs/tune all at once) and i have found a shop here in san antonio that i am comfortable taking my car to. ii do not plan on keeping the stock turbo its just temporary :D lol but yes my future plans are to save up and drop the cosworth sc600 longblock in with a rotated 35r or 40r turbo (or something along those lines) plans are still plans at this point all subject to chnage i have an idea of what i want to do there are a million different ways to get there just have to ask the right questions

2004STI

Soeaking from experiance, Cosworth longblock are, well... sub-par. Ive seen several not make it past break in due to inferior machine work. The lesson learned is hand build a long block for much less with smilar parts.

As for the 35/40R. 6265's and turbos along those lines are making HP in excess of 700 WHP. Look up Precision Turbo's.

thanks for that info like i said i am still looking around it will be a little bit before i actually dump some money into it (gotta get a few things paid off first) but i want something that will run well at high hp i believe that if you are going to do it, do it right the first time... so yea basically i am open to ideas and willing to do some research on what best fits my needs

SSJBaku

from experience of friends built blocks they have had more reliability sitting down with a shop and piecing together a block with them to meet their goals than just buying a performance block from cosworth, crawford alongside others

2004STI

^that makes sense (and is most likely what i am going to do)

not to put off any advise or anymore comments (please keep them coming!)
what kind of gains have ben seen when running E85 on a stock turbo? or would it be recommended to wait until upgraded turbo?

SSJBaku

several people have done it with success, my only worry would be life of the turbo do to the big increase in boost, but that being said, the few i have seen with supporting mods are in the range of 320-340whp, 370-400wtq

jswansti

E85 gains on stock turbo are awesome. Im tuned on E85. Base pull I put down like 245 whp (kinda low but at elevation), after tuning on E85 put down 306whp 340 wtq. We actually pushed it a little more and got up to about 320 whp and 350 wtq, but pulled back a bit just for safety.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm going to E85.

SSJBaku

i need to get my butt to a dyno, want to get my final 93 pump numbers before i go the meth route, want e85 badly but in my area its just not around