Downpipes...

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
You will have quite a debate started with that question. lol. The theory is that divorced makes the gasses flow better, reducing turbulence and helping prevent boost creep. But some people will say that in reality it doesn't work.

I went divorced invidia on my 2011, and I haven't had any problems with it, it fit perfectly where it is supposed to go, and I haven't had any boost creep issues to speak of, and I run catless which is where the creep issues really start. I spike from time to time when I dog it, but that's pretty much expected on any system from what I've seen. Creep is much worse and dangerous to the motor.

Oh yeah, and some people say divorced gives a bit more in gains.. but I really don't know about that.

To be honest, it's about as heavily debated as "Do I get an AP or no?" :lol:

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
I agree, as long as it does it's job, I'm happy! :tup: But I don't think that the Is what you'd call a "true" divorced. it's not two seperate pipes like some I've seen. It's more splitting the one pipe, don't know how efficient it is numbers wise, but it fit perfectly and it does its job for me. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

invidia.jpgVS thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Vermont

Honestly for a down pipe it does not matter what brand or type you get. I have been using a Megan racing down pipe on my 09 that I got for $250 bucks brand new. All a down pipe is a, is a length of hardened steel with some flanges welded on the ends.... Nothing more nothing less.... As long as the diameter is 3 inches it is a moot point as to which you get. Also if you are thinking of a divorced waste gate.... why bother.... The gains you will see from divorcing the waste gate on the stock Internal waste gate are minimal if any. Even with my catless bell mouth on my 09 sti pushing 20psi at stage 2 I never once ran into boost creep or boost spikes.... For what it is worth a lot of brands over charge for their products...

UndrWrldAssasin

Ok thanks for all the input guys. I looked on other forums online and they were pretty well split as to what one to get. But I just wanted to get some advice from guys who actually know what they are talking about. A Bellmouth is generally a little cheaper and there isn't any major gains to push me to a divorced so I think I'll just get a bell mouth dp.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Rob I love Invidia products. I'm running the V3 DP and Invidia N1 Street exhaust. It sounds awesome! Also wait till you see my custom header from Moore Performance & Race Parts! One of a kind!

Vermont

I would honestly suggest the cheapest dp you can find. Used if possible as well. The reason being that it simply does not matter. As long as the welds are good at the flanges you will not have any problems...

Vermont

Honestly there some half way decent brands on ebay that can be trusted with the simple things. Down pipes, up pipes and exterior bits. The reason I am kindathe pushing this is because all of the parts company's take one look at STI owners and then decided to jack up the prices. Injectors are a good example. There is honestly no reason for Deachwerks to charge $600-800 for a set of medium sized injectors that are only used stock subaru cores from the beginning. Not when evo injectors of a similar size are $200-300 cheaper... this is a common thing you will find in the subaru world. For the price of the single blouch dom1.5XT-R I bought you could pick up a two t3/t4 garret disco potatoes...

Z1107

I was going to order an invidia dp from Jordan but since I got butt raped on my taxes (thank you mr. President) I'm probably getting a temporary eBay dp and cb for my tune, so I can dump my Afro engineered straight pipes.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Oh nice, JJ! going EL or UEL? And when it comes to it, I don't claim that my choices are the best choices for anyone else. I wanted to know that the parts would fit with no rigging required, if Invidia makes the TBE, then I know that they're making their DP to fit it, which it did, perfectly. As for parts, I will not put used parts on my car, if they're required to perform. It's simply a personal decision. A heat shield is one thing, but for me, I can't bring myself to put anything that affects the car's performance that's used, on a Limited I bought brand new off the show room floor. I think I threw financial prudence out the window the minute I did that. :p

That's NOT me saying that used parts are bad, I'm just the kind of person that wants to put all the miles on something myself.

Last edited:

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
I've just had too many issues with used parts for years on my CRX. I don't knock used parts, just a personal preference of mine. I always feel like I'm taking a chance, and I am not exactly the most lucky person in the world. heh

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If I could more comfortably afford all-new all-the-time, I'd do it. Vital components I'll probably never buy used (turbo, pistons, injectors, etc...). Things like swaybars, wheels, or an IC i'm a bit more comfortable with.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Yeah, that's why I won't buy anything unless I have the funds to do it. That relies on big commission checks. lol. In this economy, it's been hard. Income has been cut down by over 30% :/