Cobb AP information

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
So this first posting will be about the Cobb AP, pro's and cons, no flaming needed, as per the norm, but a healthy debate for people who may or may not be into RACE CAR.

Proceed :p

For the record. I love my AP, I did use the stage 1 tune and stage 2 +Cobb SF tune until I added more parts. Now I have Scott and Justin at Punisher Performance and Tuning tune through it and log through it.

Last edited by a moderator:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Pro: Able to switch maps on the fly. Like from gas to E85.

Vermont

Cons: cost of the access port for us poor people is a little steep when you compare it to the tecktrix cable and open source. One of the only things that the access port can do that open source can't is on the go flashing.

Con: it seems that the cobb ap has always been one step behind open source in so far as new features (SD for example, cobb was a good 4 months behind romraider on that)

I am sure I will think of some more when I get home but those two were at the top of my head. I will freely admit I am a cobb hater to the core.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Can someone verify this "fact" for me?

If you're going to get a professional tune, I've heard that the AP tunes are cheaper. I think it had to do with the whole process actually taking less time (and therefore money) due to some of the nifty realtime tuning features of the AP.

If true, that sounds like a good "pro" to me! :tup:
If not, well that's why you dont go to nasioc :roll:

Vermont

Can someone verify this "fact" for me?

If you're going to get a professional tune, I've heard that the AP tunes are cheaper. I think it had to do with the whole process actually taking less time (and therefore money) due to some of the nifty realtime tuning features of the AP.

If true, that sounds like a good "pro" to me! :tup:
If not, well that's why you dont go to nasioc :roll:

As far as it being cheaper... Not that I have ever heard. That really does depend on the shops. Every shop has their own way of charging for tuning. For instance a place near me charges $500 for the first tune and then $300 for every fallow up tune. This is the same price from open source or AP with them... But that is only this shop. who knows what the shops around you will charge in comparison...

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
That about sums it up, Grinder. Of the people that don't just outright hate AP, the general consensus of it is, if you can afford it, it's a really nice toy and quite useful if you use it, but it's not required to run the car.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Here is a little break down from my perspective...

COBBTactrix/OS
Live tuningyesno
Fast Poll Loggingnoyes
Live Loggingyesyes
Automatic Injector scaling from lognoyes
Real Time Flashyesno
Built in Dynoyesyes
Display 0-60, 1/4 Mileyesyes
Adjust Timing from interfaceyesno
Adjust Idle from interfaceyesno
Log from interfaceLimitedLimited
Display Live monitoring from interfaceyesno
Display Fuel Economyyesno
Speed DensityyesLimited
Hybrid Mode Speed Density (MAF/SD)yesno
Community SupportFull SupportFull Support
Cost$595.00$169.00

Plus I feel that ATR is far superior than OS and the sheer convenience of the thing makes it worth it for me. That's why I laugh when I see Bubba's signature. It's quite the opposite of that. :tup:

** EDIT ** Updated list 02/17/2012

Last edited:

Vermont

Plus I feel that ATR is far superior than OS and the sheer convenience of the thing makes it worth it for me. That's why I laugh when I see Bubba's signature. It's quite the opposite of that.

I hate to argue with you but... RR does have a built in dyno and 0-60-1/4 mile display as well. Also can do the live fuel economy. I personally only envy two features of the ATR. The live flashing and the smoothing. Both of those things are being worked on right now as we both know over on RR, along with the on the fly map switching. Also with learning view you can hop into the car and look at the important learned values with the click of a button.

I do how ever, feel that for the average user who just wants to hop in and drive and not mess around with anything. Then Cobb is the way to go. The AP is easy to use and can do quite a few things. Only problem is the cost, but convenience always costs money...

Side not: does the AP do code reading?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Another perk of the AP is the OTS maps. Im not saying they're wonderful maps or anything, but they're included, safe, and "good enough" for some moderate power gains.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I hate to argue with you but... RR does have a built in dyno and 0-60-1/4 mile display as well. Also can do the live fuel economy. I personally only envy two features of the ATR. The live flashing and the smoothing. Both of those things are being worked on right now as we both know over on RR, along with the on the fly map switching. Also with learning view you can hop into the car and look at the important learned values with the click of a button.

I do how ever, feel that for the average user who just wants to hop in and drive and not mess around with anything. Then Cobb is the way to go. The AP is easy to use and can do quite a few things. Only problem is the cost, but convenience always costs money...

Side not: does the AP do code reading?

In what version does it do the dyno, fuel economy and zero to sixty. I know there was a version that had dyno but it was a pain in the ass to use. I was under the impression that it was still being developed. Every thing you do with OS involves a lap top. Lame IMO. I will look through RomRaider when I get home but I didn't see anything that did 0-60 or fuel economy. Atleast anything that was easy to use. Maybe I just overlooked it because I hate using it and I'm just not interested in it beyond its basic function.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Another perk of the AP is the OTS maps. Im not saying they're wonderful maps or anything, but they're included, safe, and "good enough" for some moderate power gains.

They are also a great starting point for making your own tune.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Mine does that Holy. I had to just update it to the newest version.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Mine does that Holy. I had to just update it to the newest version.

Got it... I had an older version. Perhaps there's hope for it yet

Updated my original post

Last edited:

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Glad I started this.. :cool: Good information all the way around. Thank you! Anyone else reading, please feel free to throw in your $.02. Everyone's advice and experience is appreciated!