Tuning questions 2012 STI

Rodericm

I am waiting for my new STI to be delivered and I'm already thinking of tuning it a bit. My question is: How much of a difference does a Stage 1 tune make, what does it entail, and will it void the warranty? Thanks!

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
I'm starting to give you a run for your money though, Fuji! lol

DanInTheRockies

I am picking up my 2012 STI in 3 weeks and have been reading this forum tonight. Is it fair to say that you really cannot do a thing to the car to improve power without your warranty becoming invalid?

If there are some items you can get away with, please list them with acronym definitions. I have read quite a bit tonight and I am getting lost in all the acronyms that people assume others understand.

Thanks!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Is it fair to say that you really cannot do a thing to the car to improve power without your warranty becoming invalid?

Yes and no.

1) Some dealers will sell some aftermarket parts (eg Cobb AccessPort) and offer warranties with the use of parts that they've sold you.
2) If you do modify the engine, and run into engine problems, the dealer may be able to deny you warranty service. However, if you were to have suspension issues, they would not be able to deny warranty claims for that work. They have to reasonably prove that your modifications lead-to/contributed-to the failure.
3) There are a few SPT parts that you can put on that are 100% warranty covered since they're made by Subaru (SPT = Subaru Performance Tuning). Im not sure how much power you get from those.