Satelitte Radio

dsoob

I know that they sell the module to hook up the sat radio to the stock headunit, but is there anywhere to get it for cheaper than the dealer price? In my Speed 6 I just bought a simple Sirius receiver and had it in the car. But I didn't like having to hide all the wires and all that. Something simple and a lot less cluttered would be great.

But I am thinking about just getting the XM Skydock to use my iphone.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The skydock looks nice... Not sure if there are any simple suggestions for you. I believe the stock unit is actually a Clarion unit so you might be able to find something direct from clarion that would fit the bill. Not to sure about that though. I did a search for factory modules and they are out there for sale on various forums and what not and at a fraction of the cost. :tup:

dsoob

The skydock looks to be a simple and cost efficient method. It is only $49.99 for the dock itself. And all you have to do is run the antenna. I just need to figure something out, since I'm paying for the service and don't have it in the new car yet.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Can you transfer your subscription to the new device? Forgive me I'm not to familiar with the Skydock but does it stream over the internet and uses the phones data connection or does it use an actual antenna? If so you should have no issues transferring your subscription. :tup:

For me it was a one time $75 charge though because I have a life time subscription. If you are paying month by month you should be able to do it for free.

dsoob

The way skydock works is like this.

You plug your ipod touch or iphone into the dock and it plugs into the cigarette lighter. You have an antenna cord that runs to the outside of the vehicle. All you have to do is download the skydock app on your apple device and you are good to go. Its $50 for the skydock versus $200 for the module or whatever they run.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Okay. So then it is definately connecting through the satellite and the antenna should come with a radio ID that you can use to transfer your account to it.

That's what I'm thinking

dsoob

It runs through the fm radio. Which I was under the impression was somewhat restricted by the FCC a few years back. But it seems like an easier way to get satelitte radio than dealing with the hassle of the module.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yes it is a much simpler solution.

I see how it works now... The skydock is the actual satellite receiver and the iPod/iPhone is nothing more than the controller. The skydock has a built in FM modulator that sends the output to your FM radio. Pretty cool actually.

So yeah you can definitely have your subscription transferred to the new receiver no problem.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Beware FM transmitters!

Before i got the STI my car had no way of getting an Aux input short of a new HU (which i didnt want to do...would look ugly in the MINI!).

Anyways, i tried countless crappy FM transmitters that would constantly need adjusting to find a vacant frequency. I finally broke down and bought a nicer one, but it STILL needed more adjustment that I was happy with.

Avoid FM transmitters and go for an AUX-input if at ALL possible.

EDIT: Google just told me that it does have a stereo-out jack. use that
double edit: I forgot you lived away from cities. FM trans should be ok.

Last edited:

dsoob

Yeah I used the fm transmitter with my satelitte radio on my previous car. It is not bad around here as like you said we have only a handful of stations that actual pick up anything. So there are a ton of free stations to use an fm transmitter through. In my car there is an aux jack and an ipod cord. Which both are handy and useful. But I like having satelitte radio as there is new music coming through that I haven't heard before.