Signs of turbo failure?

11bnuffy

My current mod list are as follows (2008 STi Hatch): installed in order with a few weeks in between each upgrade.
1)COBB AP (running COBB OTS stage 1 map)
2)Harmonmotive TBE 3" Cat-less downpipe (Cobb OTS Stage 2 map)
3)GRIMMSPEED AOS
4)COBB SF Intake (Cobb OTS stage 2 map with intake map)
5)Perrin Turbo Inlet (on stock turbo)
6)DW65c Fuel pump

Im having more oil in my intercooler than normal. I asked my fellow local subaru buddies and they say that my turbo is dieing. Just before I got here to Afghan black smoke would come out of my exhaust when I would do WOT runs. It has only happened twice. Also my boost would have a hard time on 5th and 6th gear. It would struggle then just spike up to 21-22 psi. When I drive normally it drives fine and the boost hold up fine. Ive done a lot of research and im thinking it might be my PCV valve, turbo dieing, some kind of leak or even be OTS stage 2 map from Cobb. I think the leak can be taken out of the equation, but ill double check when I get home here in a couple of weeks. But where should I start looking or should I just get a new turbo and take it from there? If so what Turbo do you all recommend? I dont plan on going more than 400hp. Just want to be as close to it as possible safely. I was thinking maybe a Blouch. Any help will greatly be appreciated, and if you have any questions that might help you know a little more, let me know. I would gladly answer them asap.

Thank you all for you time.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The very first thing I will recommend is a compression test. I'm not saying that this is the problem but ring landings are always preceeded by these symptoms. Most likely though it is the turbo but you need to rule out a damaged engine first.

What is your driving style. For 400whp anything from a 20G on up will get you there but your driving style will most likey determine the turbo choice. And by "style" i mean drag race, rolling race, time attack and auto cross, drifting, ect or just all around performer

Last edited:

11bnuffy

The very first thing I will recommend is a compression test. I'm not saying that this is the problem but ring landings are always preceeded by these symptoms. Most likely though it is the turbo but you need to rule out a damaged engine first.

What is your driving style. For 400whp anything from a 20G on up will get you there but your driving style will most likey determine the turbo choice. And by "style" i mean drag race, rolling race, time attack and auto cross, drifting, ect or just all around performer

I will do a compression test then when I get back. And Im just trying to get as close as possible to 400 (wont be heart broken if i dont) and my style is mainly drag racing but would like some top end power. But if it comes down to it drag racing would be my style. I dont plan on going to crazy with my car just want it as a fun as a daily driver. Once I put on the turbo, I want to make sure sometime (2-3 years) down the road with supporting mods ill be able to push the turbo to the limit. I really do appreciate the reply and all the help.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Okay cool... So for a DD with emphasis on drag racing I personally would recommend one of the following.. FB Black, GT3076, Blouch DOM 3. I have tuned the Dom 3 and the GT30 series turbos and Edwin has some good experience and results with the FP black and I think they will suit your goal with good spool for DD and great punch and top end for drag. With these turbos you will likely need an FMIC and an external waste gate.

You could go with a rotated setup but those are useless unless you start going GT35 or larger IMO, and then you start losing your daily drivability.

I'm sure others will have other opinions as well.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Black is definitely a good idea, I'm using a heavily modified FP Green and love how it runs in day to day driving, hundreds of miles a week. It's very driveable, but will definitely pick up and go if I need to move around on the highway.

11bnuffy

Which way is the GRIMMSPEED AOS lines routed?
imag0431bx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The lines are installed exactly how the instructions said to be installed. From left to right : To the intercooler line, middle to the inlet, and third to the crankcase.

Black is definitely a good idea, I'm using a heavily modified FP Green and love how it runs in day to day driving, hundreds of miles a week. It's very driveable, but will definitely pick up and go if I need to move around on the highway.
Im currently installing a Blouch 18G-XT, DW 1000cc injectors, and GS EBCS. Getting tuned the 28th and hopefully it all goes to plan. Ill come back here and update and see how it all goes. CHecked out my stock turbo and it seems not to have any shaft play. My buddy says it might be the seal, but other than that the turbo is in great shape.