Engine Oil

Oil Recommendation

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bang876

What is really the difference between lets say 5w30 and 10w40. I was recommended to use 10w40. What is the difference between that and the OEM 5w30?

Oil Recommendation:

What Kind of Vehicle do you have? 05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2.5L . The engine is fully built.

What does the manuel say? 5w30 and ensure API classifications

Where you live? Fort Lewis, WA so expect lots of rain year round and snow

How do you drive? Well I tend to be pretty easy going but due tend to floor it now then, especially when some punk ass kid in a honda civic pulls up and rev. But most the time slow and easy.

What is your daily drive like? Mainly around post so lots of stop signs,lights, and low speed limit. But usually some high way on weekends.

Does your car have any problems? None that I am aware of.

I have been recommended to use Amsoil. Currently my car is running on Mobile 1 synthetic.

What do you guys suggest? Should I stick with Amsoil if so what weight or switch.
IF recommend switch please state brand, reason, and personal experience.

Thanks guys

Bang876

Also currently the car is in Jacksonville, FL and would be there until September which is when I will began my super long drive up to Fort Lewis, WA. I would like recommendations for what to use while on block leave and what to stick with once in WA. Thanks you much:D

Z1107

Amsoil signature series. 5w30 should be fine but let some of the other guys that know more about viscosity vs. climate, etc, weigh in. But the amsoil is great I've run royal purple and mobil but the amsoil is the best in my opinion.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Other: Rotella T6

I live in DC.

The car sees mostly 20min commute each day each way. Also sees one or two track days a year.

No problems!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I run Amsoil Domanitor! Price is not a factor when it comes to a motor. :lol:

Z1107

How much do you spend per oil change? I spend around $50-$60 per depending on what filter I run. Regular DIY oil change $30-$50 (depending on oil and filter used) so by cutting out one trip to a restaurant or a couple fast food visits, BAM! Top quality engine protection.

Z1107

It's cool, Reks swears by mobil 1, and most of us amsoil or rotella. It's like the STi vs Evo debate we all like one.

Z1107

If you ever do, call Jordan at defined, best prices on amsoil, and he always has deals on it. I'm just sold on the stuff after running mobil, rp, and seeing how much better my car runs on the zrod. Never tried rotella so can't knock it but we do have a thread in the technical section about oil and the general consensus was amsoil.

Edit:
Or JJ he's a dealer too! ;)

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
This is very very true...id prolly buy it to be honest, if i could buy it at a local store

I'm a dealer. Shipping is quick. Usually two days tops. I have used it all, and to be honest my STi runs better on Amsoil.

Bang876

Conclusion

Well the community has spoken! I decided to go with Amsoil and after talking with Jordan it was a sure thing. Ordered 15qt of Amsoil engine oil, Amsoil oil filters, Amsoil SVG 75w-90 for the trans and diff and Amsoil 500 series dot 3 brake fluids all thanks to Jordan. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Doesn't it matter which years? I was under the impression that 07s used a torsen type and therefore needed different gear oil than earlier clutch-type, which require special friction modifiers.

Vermont

I used to run both RP and Mobil 1 as well. I only had one oil change of Mobil 1 on my 07 before it was totaled but I switched to RP when I read a crap load of oil analyses about the Mobil 1 breaking up and also of people's cars eating it like crazy. Apparently the main reason is the heat from our Turbos break it down quicker... Not sure how true that is but I was unwilling to take a chance. I switched to RP and all seemed to be fine. Then Jordan convinced me to switch to Amsoil so I said fuck it and did so. I am very glad I did. After the second oil change the car idled smoother, consumed less oil and had less blow by. Yes it is expensive but with how badly I rag on my car I want to make sure I have an oil that will stand up to the abuse, and so far it has. But then again the car is not daily driven, I let it warm up to full operating temp before driving, and the majority of the miles on the car are from 4 cross country trips.... On the other hand when I do drive the car it is balls to the wall.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
My 04 runs a lot smoother on Amsoil.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Do people ever/commonly do oil analysis on gear oil?

I'd be interested in seeing results of Amsoil vs Subaru Extra-S from the tranny/dif.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
And my 05 runs smooth on Rotella T6 lol, and i can buy it pretty much anywhere!...am i less of a person cuz i run rotella or something? And Jordan, i never once said u were talking out of ur ass.

YEP! YOUR POND SCUM! :rofl:

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
I use Valvoline VR1 Racing Synthetic. Can pick it up at the local Auto Zone or Advance, and it seems to work pretty well. Scott uses it in his car and hasn't had problems so that was good enough for me.

I'm with Edwin, I think as long as it has the zinc and phosphates with whatever other additives they use that protect your turbo and motor, you can't go wrong. They really all run in the ball park of the same price here in Orlando, and with the stop and go traffic along with open highways, I definitely have to be careful.