Short Throw Shifter

Rodericm

This may sound like a dumb question, but I will be picking up my new STi next week and I ordered it with the short throw shifter. My question is: How do I know the short throw is installed? Is there a visual difference between the stock shifter and the Short throw?
Thanks!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
It will be shorter.

jswansti

Ha ha, nice jj.

If you went from having a normal Shifter to a short throw you would notice the difference immediately. But seeing as yours was ordered with the option...maybe sit in a wrx or Sti with a normal one and then compare it to the feel/ look of yours when it comes in.

ZachTTLM

I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe the short throw option is offered by SPT (subaru's) performance part brand. So there should be some sort of marking on it that can be seen if you remove the bezel around the shifter. Even if it is only a part number stamped on it you can cross reference it with google or something. Maybe someone someone with this option can comfirm any markings.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
I want a short throw shifter, but I'm not paying SPT prices for one just because they want to replace all the linkage. At the same time, I am clumsy and don't want to lose my reverse lockout. Not sure if there's a way to keep it or not with a Cobb or some such.

35r

Stock is like shifting a tri-axel, there is a long reach. I can shift by pretty much just flicking my wrist with my kartboy. You don't need to have driven with the stock shifter to notice the difference. You will know right away.