COBB access port tuning help!

Jennaboo32

Hey guys. I have a 06 sti and there's a lot of aftermarket parts on it. Some things were done by the previous owner and I am not sure if there is a tune on it now or not. I just got a COBB acess port and I don't want to mess up a existing tune by using it, but again not even sure if there is a tune or not. What should I do???

Tonytouch

You need to compile a list of mods done to the car so we know if the accessports ots maps can work for you. If they can then you can plug the port in and load a map.

I would guess if the car has a lot of mods and is running strong it has a protune. You could always take it to you local tuning shop and have them check it out.

Jennaboo32

So should I not even plug it in? I have a FP green turbo, 4 inch down pipe into a Greddy turbo back exhaust, bigger injectors, bigger top mount, Mishomoto rad, aps intake, grimm speed boost solenoid, turbo inlet. Maybe more. Im pulling the engine and resealing it and taking out the grimm speed boost solenoid to replace it with the new COBB one. And thoroughly looking over everything to see exactly what all is done. The car is running rich.

Vermont

Fuji is correct, unless you are moving to a manual then pretty much any three port will work. Also the grimmspeed one works great. I have yet to have a problem with mine on my Dom 1.5xtr.

With the car running rich you might just have a boost leak. A simple boost leak test would answer that question for you. Also unless you want to tune the car your self (in which case you would have to start from scratch) then take that beasty in to a shop near you that you trust. I don't know of any shops in PA but we have a lot of members from PA on here who I am sure will be able to help with a good suggestion. Are you getting any codes thrown? Any bad back fires or shutters? All of that and more can be symptoms of having mods with no tune, or a bad tune. Also don't be surprised that any shop you take it too will try and charge you more than normal to tune the car. The reason being they will have to build that tune from the ground up due to the old tuner locking it (most tuners lock their maps so that Open Source people like me can't steal them).

Jennaboo32

Well it was free so im not too worried about wasting money on it. Its a brand new part so im going to change it. And I did have a boost leak but it was fixed unless something else is leaking. like I said the engines getting pulled this upcomming week so everything will be checked over. It doesn't throw any codes and sometimes it backfires but not usually. It does smoke out the exhaust though when im getting on it.

Vermont

What color smoke? If it is brown/black then you are fine that just means rich. If blue or white then that is very bad. Also if you do swap out the solenoids you might need a re-tune. I am not positive and fuji would be better able to tell you. Also most after market tunes are rich. Heck the stock tune is retardly rich. The only reason you dont see flames or smoke from it is due to the Cats and Mufflers.

Tonytouch

So should I not even plug it in? I have a FP green turbo, 4 inch down pipe into a Greddy turbo back exhaust, bigger injectors, bigger top mount, Mishomoto rad, aps intake, grimm speed boost solenoid, turbo inlet. Maybe more. Im pulling the engine and resealing it and taking out the grimm speed boost solenoid to replace it with the new COBB one. And thoroughly looking over everything to see exactly what all is done. The car is running rich.

Don't plug it in, it's not going to do anything for your car. You need to find a shop to get the car tuned and they can load the map or maps on the access port for you to swap between.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Don't plug it in, it's not going to do anything for your car. You need to find a shop to get the car tuned and they can load the map or maps on the access port for you to swap between.

I agree with this.

The hardware you have is to specific for an OTS map and you most likely have a tune on it already based on those mods. If you want to utilize the cobb then you will need a new pro tune. I suggest doing this anyway because you just don't know for sure what you have.

Last edited:

Jennaboo32

Yea the smoke is black that comes out. And I didnt even think of a re-tune after switching them out. I'm just going to wait, get a list of everything done to the car and take it somewhere. Thanks for your help guys! Anyone know of a good tuning shop around PA? (besides CBRD)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yea the smoke is black that comes out. And I didnt even think of a re-tune after switching them out. I'm just going to wait, get a list of everything done to the car and take it somewhere. Thanks for your help guys! Anyone know of a good tuning shop around PA? (besides CBRD)

JJ (aka crztrbo) knows a few