Question about the hand brake.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Can someone make a sticky aboutthe hand brake? From my knowledge it disengages the rear diff. Does anyone have a diagram or a full blown out explanation of how it works while driving?

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
I did a bit of digging around, and this is the general consensus of things I found.. NOT my words.. Basically, don't do it in an '06+

The 04 and 05
[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]STi[/FONT][/FONT] DCCD's are the only ones that can go completely open when you hit the e-brake. 06+ STI's all have a mechanical LSD for the center in addition to the electronic locking, and its only the electronics that unlock with the e-brake. So there is the potential for damage and/or increased wear on the center diff doing e-brake turns for the 06+ model years.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sweet. Every time I pull on the e brake, there is a small room for play where you feel it disengage. Then after that point you can pull up to slow down. I do this mainly when I see patrol officers and at night when I don't want to light up the entire scene behind me. Now my next question is: Can you still accelerate while pulling up on the e brake? I have not done this nor do I intend to do so, but it just got me thinking about winter drifting and how that could make use for some fun haha. :tup: