Tires and temperature

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So i was curious about grip. Winter is coming here in ohio and very fast at that. Summer ranged from 70-90 degrees but now its ranging 40-high 50s. Obviously the grip on the tires wont be as good but i wanted to know if there is a certain temperature where the tires just give out on grip. I love taking hard turns but now im gonna have to become very cautious. So does anyone know this information or know of another source that i can read from?

Thanks
-Alin

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
That is such a hard question to answer. So many variables play into that scenario of when a tire will and lose grip.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Where do i begin my research? :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Give me a bit. A little busy now

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
30 psi in all tires.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349981480224.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349981480224.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 52
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349981521548.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349981521548.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 49
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349981580793.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349981580793.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 63

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Idk all of the terms of the tarmac. But what is the angle of the road called? Where it helps you take the turn. Idk if it lowers center of gravity or adjusts it on one side to aid in turning. Im going all off of forza driving as i have no experience on the track. But im sure the temperature influences grip. Especially lower temperatures. Correct me if im wrong.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Im not. It was just a reference since i dont know the correct terms. And ive had these tires since last spring. Lot of tread left. I just havent taken hard turns in the cold before as i started doing this summer. So i became curious. :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Find a nice open parking lot. This is what I did and I figured out what temps the car felt good at.

I will do that! Any other suggestions? :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
To go back to your original question, when i swapped from summers to winters 2 years ago the morning commute temp was around 40 the first few days. The winter tires had significantly more grip than the summers.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
To go back to your original question, when i swapped from summers to winters 2 years ago the morning commute temp was around 40 the first few days. The winter tires had significantly more grip than the summers.

Yeah i had blizzaks two winters ago. Last winter i ran my all seasons. No problem either way. But those blizzaks were something else for sure. :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
So i was curious about grip. Winter is coming here in ohio and very fast at that. Summer ranged from 70-90 degrees but now its ranging 40-high 50s. Obviously the grip on the tires wont be as good but i wanted to know if there is a certain temperature where the tires just give out on grip. I love taking hard turns but now im gonna have to become very cautious. So does anyone know this information or know of another source that i can read from?

Thanks
-Alin

No good answer to that one but I can say that when you are at freezing or near it then your summer tires will have lost a considerable amount of grip.
I notice that for each 10 degrees below 60, my summer tires performance degrades. Around 40* they start to become hard and less responsive. At freezing and below they essentially turn to wood. Pushing the tires hard under 50 degrees is not recommended. At freezing I wouldn't get even mildly aggressive with them. Add some moisture on the road surface and the pucker factor just went up 11ty billion times.

Each brand tire is going to react differently and each model within those brands will react differently, as well. The simple answer is it depends on just exactly what makes up the compound of the tire and there is no real clear answer as that information will be nearly impossible to find. I can say that most, if not all, manufacturers of summer tires do not recommend running them at or near freezing temps. Some even suggest not storing them at those temps as it can fart with the tire compounds. Kinda like how paint goes bad when stored in a cold shed over the winter... I assume.

As you said, just be cautious. When you get the time, get some more suitable treads for the cold. Oh, and don't even think about using them in the snow and ice.