Which color for silver 05 sti wheels

jcolomde

I personally like the stock BBS' wheels, they seem to have a pretty good strength to weight ratio. unfortunately stock wheels or at least stock color wheels are not very appreciated at shows and meets, specially while being surrounded by heavily modified STIs. now I have two options. one, I can paint or powder coat the stock wheels. or 2, hop on some used rotas that a friend or mine is selling and paint or powder coat those.

Suggestions on which option to chose and which color to go with, GO.

.. thank you!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Powder coating forged rims can cause issues (brittleness) down the line if not done properly. Most people advise to avoid it!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
http://figurefinishing.com/?page_id=1262

Q: Will powder coating temperatures affect the strength of forged wheels? A: There is a lot of misinformation out there, both for and against powder coating forged wheels, so to get to the bottom of it, I went straight to the source. Craig, a technical veteran of 25 years with BBS Wheels, was kind enough to shed some light on this issue. Craig has seen a fair number of powder coated wheels crack over the years (uncoated wheels, too). The main reasons he cited for wheel failures with respect to powder coating were 1) abusive stripping practices, such as using a burn-off oven (generally 700-900*F) or hot sand stripping to disintigrate the originial finish, 2) poor process control, such as ovens with large temperature swings, inaccurate thermal control, or infrared heaters that bombard the parts with heat to accelerate the process. These elevated temperatures over-age the heat treatment of the alloy, increasing its brittleness and making it more prone to crack, and 3) repeated stripping, coating, and heat cycling over a wheel?s lifetime. Craig also added that the factory finish on BBS wheels consists of a powder coated base coat with liquid top coats. The powder coating temperature and dwell are considered in the manufacturing process and are tightly controlled.

jcolomde

interesting. I think I'm going to leave my BBS's alone and see what the deal is with the rotas. thank you guys!