Ultimate Question

ICY STi

Starting to get my parts together and looking into finding a reputable tuner. I was wondering if there is any questions to ask specifically to tell if the tuner is actually as good as he is trying to pitch. Mainly a question about STi's?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
When was the last time you blew an STi up?

That doesn't sound right does it? :rofl:

Last edited:

ICY STi

Im going to go out on a limb here Fuji and say that this question is going to get me kicked in the nuts. lol

this is more of a check on learning so correct me if im wrong. The AFRs are rather more "important" then the EGTs. Mainly because of temp range for the EGTs is so vast and vary from one engine to another. One engine will be happy at 1350* while another motor same mods will be more happy at 1500*. Also the location of the tuning shop is a factory in the EGT. The AFRs dont have that wide of a range to a "happy median" optimal between 12-13.5 to 1.

Have I dun good? lol

Evo_Fucking_STi

It also depends on what kinda fuel you will be tuning on, and at what point the EGT's are what. During spool up you would want your EGT's to be higher if you are running a bigger turbo so you can get the gases moving faster to help spool up. At WOT you would want them to come down. It also depends on what type of material you componets are as some will cool the gases down faster, some will hold the heat better. I think Fuji poses a great question to ask a tuner, becuase in my experience 90+% don't even look at EGT's.

Vermont

The thing is the tuner may have the egts on lock down but if he does this by advancing timing like crazy, causing knock and other problems then do you really want him on your car? The best idea would be too talk yo him fora while and pick his brain too see his general tuning style and also how much he really knows. No one question is going to be able too do that

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Im going to go out on a limb here Fuji and say that this question is going to get me kicked in the nuts. lol

this is more of a check on learning so correct me if im wrong. The AFRs are rather more "important" then the EGTs. Mainly because of temp range for the EGTs is so vast and vary from one engine to another. One engine will be happy at 1350* while another motor same mods will be more happy at 1500*. Also the location of the tuning shop is a factory in the EGT. The AFRs dont have that wide of a range to a "happy median" optimal between 12-13.5 to 1.

Have I dun good? lol

AFR's are important but EGT's are just as important globally when you look at the whole picture.You use your EGT to gauge the safety of the tune and maintaining a range is what you want. I keep saying this... when you tune you need to A) look at every thing together, AFR, Timing and Boost. and use EGT to gauge the result. B) understand the relationship between them all. C) Know what each one does both individually and together and why you are running them at the levels you choose to.

This is why I laugh at people who say "You are running way to lean" and not looking at everything else to understand what is really going on (This includes hardware like cam, compression and heads). Or why it is very rich and super low timing while spooling.

You need to formulate your question to see how he understands these relationships. Also most tuners are on a time constraint and they don't have the luxury that we in the DIY community do to be very precise. I use to believe that most tuners where "Sledge Hammer" tuners until I witnessed one in particular. I now refer to the method simply as "Quick Tuning" but only when performed by a tuner that understands the relationships. If they don't then I call them sledge hammer tuners.

To be honest there are to many questions that can be taken out of context to make the tuner sound like he doesn't know what he is doing. You may want to gauge his ability on customer reviews... What does his clientele think of him?

ICY STi

I know exactly who your referring to too Fuji. Reviews say he's the "best in town" but the end product of a blown motor bodes otherwise.

Damn and here I thought all my researching had payed off. Haha. Thinking back to everything I have read all this does make sense.

Ill just have to go talk to the guy and get a face to face with him. He does have a 650+ awhp blob eye so that makes me a little more comfortable using him.

Hopefully he won't be an "EPIC" failure. (Fuji might be the only one to get that past part) hahah

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
EGTs IMO are the most important parameter. EGTs are what will burn holes in valves. EGTs are what melts a hole in a piston.

Clientele and reviews also IMO mean jack and shit. We have a local tuner in the area who has blown easily two dozen motors and really doesn't know how to tune, but if you ask around people will tell you he's great.

That's kinda what I was getting at :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I know exactly who your referring to too Fuji. Reviews say he's the "best in town" but the end product of a blown motor bodes otherwise.

Damn and here I thought all my researching had payed off. Haha. Thinking back to everything I have read all this does make sense.

Ill just have to go talk to the guy and get a face to face with him. He does have a 650+ awhp blob eye so that makes me a little more comfortable using him.

Hopefully he won't be an "EPIC" failure. (Fuji might be the only one to get that past part) hahah

You'd be surprised ;)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
If something doesn't sit well with you then go with an exit strategy.
In the end, trust your gut. Intuition is something we all have whether we choose to listen or not. Tune in and go with it, whichever direction it takes you.

Vermont

Here's another idea:

Take a ride in a car he tuned.

This! I cant suggest this enough. Taking a ride in one of the cars he has tuned will let you know how the car is going to behave and feel after he tunes it. Some tuners have no idea what they are doing in closed loop or partial throttle, and as a result you get a great WOT pull but then everything else feels like crap. If possible find a car that has been tuned by the tuner in question that has similar mods done too it. As he is most likely going to be using that same map as a base too work from. Also find out if they do any road tuning. Most tuners will not road tune a car too nail down the closed loop and the transitions. This means that a good majority of where you will be spending your time in will have been barely touched at all and as a result will feel like crap.

ICY STi

Here's another idea:

Take a ride in a car he tuned.

That would last just over 10 seconds...haha

That makes sense. I wouldn't have thought of that. Downfall to the ride is his car never sees the street. so 9 months out of the year is garaged. He doesn't have a dyno so i'm not exactly sure how he tunes...I would assume he would do a 4th pull on a back road but the cops around here whip on the berries and cherries at +5 mph...

Fuji back to the EGT question you proposed was I correct in my assumption that there isn't a base line happy place for the temps due to every engine being different?