GOT A 2005 STI, WHAT ARE SOME GREAT ENTRY-LEVEL MODS!?

JankySTI

I just got a 2005 STI with 90k on it. I want it to be a rumbly street car with potential to get on the dirt every so often. I want it to be super-clean and stick to the best brands for the parts I get. I would like to know what you guys think would be great entry level upgrades!!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I would say whiteline sways & endlinks.

Welcome.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If you're looking for power, definitely start with a downpipe and a tune (off the shelf is fine!). A fuel pump and some injectors will get you even more.

For suspension, some endlinks and swaybars are the perfect first mod.

From there...get dirty, does that mean rally-cross, or just an occasional dirt road.

Tell us more about your plans and we can give you better advice!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Its hard to count a "wear-item" as a mod! But agreed. Sticky tires can make a bigger difference in lap time than power mods and/or suspension mods. Its also cruel how the better the tires are, the more expensive they are AND more often you have to replace them.

Z1107

Rear tow hook so you can hang deer nuts from them! Lol. Kidding. Start with suspension, very gratifying.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I have put a ridiculous amount of money into my STi and it still feels like the mod that did the most
good for the least money was sway bars for sure! Mine are adjustable ones from Whiteline.

As for power though, turbo-back exhaust and a good tune is a great place to start.

JankySTI

Thanks dudes!

Thanks for the quick replies dudes. It seems like suspension and tuning are common themes in this thread.

I'm just trying to boost the power a bit to make it a bit more exciting to drive, but I also want to be able to jump on a dirt road or dirt track if I want to.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I dont know much about dirt driving.

My understanding is that a lot of the upgrades for tarmac would actually be downgrades for dirt.

Example: I think you want softer sways for dirt whereas you want stiffer (to a point) for tarmac. Same with springs!

You might look into some upgraded bushings instead of sways if you're serious about the dirt. There are soft bushings EVERYWHERE (motor mounts, transmission bushings, shifter, steering, suspension pickup points, etc....). For serious driving (tarmac AND dirt) you want those to be less pliable.

Power is good for both :D With power though, it makes sense to do as much as possible at once, to save on the tuning costs.

What sort of budget are you looking at?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Trust me... You will get plenty of excitement out of some well planned suspension mods. If I was to do it all over again I would definitely start with suspension first. This will afford you the chance to get intimate with the way your car drives and handles and to both maximize it's limitation and become familiar with those limitations. If you add power to the mix before suspension you will not get the most out of your power because the key is to utilize it safely and to ensure the power stays on the ground. Do a lot of research because you need to understand why a modification works or doesn't. Just because everyone is doing it, it may not be the right component for your goal. To often people just modify for the cool factor and have no clue what effect it has on their performance.

Then when your suspension is the tits, you can go add your power with confidence. Just my $.02 :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Like Grinder said about waiting to do multiple power mods at the same to avoid extra tuning/shop time...
You should also consider what your final power goals are before you get too deep into this.

JankySTI

Okayokay, you guys are a lot of help really. My last car was a strictly street, low and slow Integra.. So suspension isn't my strong suit.

I'm looking at going to 400+ ponies. Not more than 500 though.

I'm sure that I'll spend the majority of time on the streets since it'll be my daily car, so yeah, suspension will have to be about the road instead of offroad.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
1k a month...i'm jealous. 1k/month forever?

Holy shiiiiit. I wish I had an extra $1,000 a month to put into my Subie. Dear God it'd be fast.

JankySTI

Well, shoot.
I think it'll be smaller in about a year when I get out of the Army, but then I'll be in school. So for the next year, I've got 1K a month for the Sub.

Airpig

I'd suggest to start with power mods you won't have to change as your power grows after your suspension mods. Of course tires are the most important things on the car. Think about it...nothing else touches the ground. I like the Cobb Accessport version 2 tuner. I use Jarad at PDX out of Oregon to e-tune my car until he visits. He charges once for the map and then tweaks the map for the lifetime of the car. Get a new turbo and he gives you a new map. He's a good resource too for power goals. The cobb will grow with you basically as well as a decent exhaust. Good luck and keep asking questions.