• Dont turn to the dark side!

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why not have both

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Bang876

I am going to sound like an infidel here and probably get shoot on sight but I am really courting the thought of an EVO purchase after next deployment. I have a buddy who has an EVO and I took a drive and was sold. What pissed me off even more was that he spent half the money I did and got better HP gains mods for mods. Another soldier in my company has an EVO IX and spent about $3K in mods and is pushing well over 400whp. I guess in the early stage EVO and STI are fairly similar but for major power gains you will have to drop loads of cash on the STI. I don't know not really experience with EVO's. What do you guys think?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I had an Evo. Great car, crap trans. My Evo was constantly broke. Long story.

Z1107

Both cars have pros and cons, Fuji is one guy to ask he has built up both dozens of times. And of course our fearless leader, JJ, who secretly has a love affair with Evos.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Both cars have pros and cons, Fuji is one guy to ask he has built up both dozens of times. And of course our fearless leader, JJ, who secretly has a love affair with Evos.

Yep, lol. Like I said. I know them both in and out. When I get sometime I can do a write up.

Bang876

Yep, lol. Like I said. I know them both in and out. When I get sometime I can do a write up.

That would be awesome sir! Thanks! I should probably start up with some of my old donation promo again as well.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
That would be awesome sir! Thanks! I should probably start up with some of my old donation promo again as well.

Thanks. I will work on this for you.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I too have been tempted by the fruit from the other tree. lol. Although, it would be very hard for me to make that purchase. Had a DSM in the family, years back, and that thing was a POS. My first car was a Plymouth powered by a Mitsu 4 and that thing was a POS of an engine. Our Caterpillar forklifts, at work, are powered by Mitsu engines. The diesels are ok but the propane engines are hot garbage.
How does this relate to the EVO? It doesn't per se, but given my experience with Mitsu and others, as well, it has made me gun shy whenever considering anything Mitsubishi.

Still yet, the EVO is on my car bucket list. I say keep the Subaru, if you can swing it, and have the EVO, too.

Bang876

Older EVOs won't make torque like sti do. However, they are cheaper to build and people in that community actually understand things like putting injectors on cars. I've driven quite a few EVOs from a baseline stock car to 600whp. The thing I will say is that the sti feels completely different from a driver perspective. It took an EVO with full on suspension mods for me to have confidence in the car and even then it wasn't as good as I would have liked. EVOs are trash cans on wheels and the Subaru community is a bunch of ricers. Take your pick

Well if you put it in that perspective then I guess I will stick to my STI. But regardless I just want to try both platforms. Maybe further the down the road I could eventually owned both.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
The evo's always interested me as well. Maybe someday I'll have one of each!

The nerd in me likes some of the things subaru did (boxer motor, symmetrical awd) but i'll admit the easy power of an EVO is alluring.

Stiyle11sedan

I know I am not around here much anymore but I do have something to say on the matter. I came from an Evo IX SE and I absolutely loved the car, in 100K I ONLY replaced brakes and clutches. From the showroom to my buddy's house where it is now the car has always been very solid. I modded the hell out of it and had over 450AWHP. Pushing 28psi on a FP black turbo, fully built and ported head with GSC S2 cams, springs and retainers. I had 1200 injectors, full TBE, speed density, ETS exhaust and 3" FMIC, you name it. Car was very solid on coils.

I will say that I would never take a MR...I went for the SE because of the better transmissions. I pretty much beat the shit out of the car but was extremely meticulous with my maintenance. I guess anyone could argue different points but for me it was probably the most reliable car I ever owned.

The two reasons I got rid of it was the 100K mileage mark and also there were 0 amenities. I like the little creature comforts. Anyway my ramblings are over....just my .02!!

Iphonepics758.jpg

Iphonepics756.jpg

Last edited:

Bang876

I know I am not around here much anymore but I do have something to say on the matter. I came from an Evo IX SE and I absolutely loved the car, in 100K I ONLY replaced brakes and clutches. From the showroom to my buddy's house where it is now the car has always been very solid. I modded the hell out of it and had over 450AWHP. Pushing 28psi on a FP black turbo, fully built and ported head with GSC S2 cams, springs and retainers. I had 1200 injectors, full TBE, speed density, ETS exhaust and 3" FMIC, you name it. Car was very solid on coils.

I will say that I would never take a MR...I went for the SE because of the better transmissions. I pretty much beat the shit out of the car but was extremely meticulous with my maintenance. I guess anyone could argue different points but for me it was probably the most reliable car I ever owned.

The two reasons I got rid of it was the 100K mileage mark and also there were 0 amenities. I like the little creature comforts. Anyway my ramblings are over....just my .02!!

Iphonepics758.jpg

Iphonepics756.jpg

Wow nice Evo man! Also did you ever get the Amsoil I sent you?

Stiyle11sedan

Yep sure did....thought I sent you a pm about that...sorry!!
Hope all is well...

Bang876

But I am at a lost here, because one side say the car is a go-kart or trash can on wheels while other say its a solid car. I mean which one is it? Maybe its because EVO are driven more by younger crowds so it developed a bad rep due to their abuse and retarded driving. While on the other hand I see a big variety in Subaru from all gender, age, and race. Is quite normal to pull up to an STi and see a guy in his late 30-40's behind the wheel.

ps not that people in that age group are old or weird by any means:tard:

Stiyle11sedan

Well for starters my Evo never had cruise control, or heated seats, Nav...Like the Subie but like I said before I like the creature comforts. Personally I think they are great solid cars but again you are going to get a bunch of different opinions. In the end it will be purely up to you. If you get a well maintained one you probably won't have many if any problems at all...if you get one that was beat to death then you may have a ton of issues!!!

And for the record I am 37..LOL

RVSTi

Evo's are eaiser to do basic maintenance on. I am fortunate to have both and 03 EVO and a 05 STi. Both are fun to drive. But the wife drives the EVO, cause I am a Suby man.

ICY STi

Im jaded on this topic. I owned two Mitsubishi's in the past, neither were an EVO, but i had nothing but issues with the cars. I had a 94 Galant and a 97 Diamante (GDI). Unmodded both engines spun rod bearings. The 94 crank snapped and spun a rod bearing driving at highway speeds, and the 97 spun a bearing snapped a piston rod and sent it right through the block...replaced the block and not even 500 miles later the tranny went. I am very opposed to anyone buying a mitsubishi. just my opinion...mitsubishi's are ment to break so you keep them in business buying replacement parts. These were the extensive issues I dealt with.