Turbo going bad right away

blakeleversimo

So here is the problem I own a 05 sti and I recently blew my turbo I was trying to see if I could max the speedo out, anyhow I bought a new stock turbo I installed that all the lines where connected right it was not oil starved the banjo bolts were cleaned I took my love for a quick spin and the turbo blew almost immediately didnt even get around the block! I am at a loss a buddy of mine said it was probably the bov not working causing the pressure to go back through the turbo and out the exhaust it had happened to Him. I would take the car to a suby tech but I am working in the oilfields in nodak the closest one being hours away fml so the newest turbo came today and the new bov I am just too paranoid to install it and Have it happen all over again! Any advice would be much appreciated

Grinder34

Track Monkey
did you see the car overboost?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Let me ask you... What turbo did you replace it with? The only reason a turbo would blow that soon is if it was oil starved or it was assembled improperly. Even though you are sure the lines were connected properly they could still be clogged. The EJ motors have screen filters installed in the banjo bolts on the heads that supply the AVSC solenoids and the turbo. These screen filters are prone to clog and have been known to oil starve turbos

Also the journal bearing turbos require a 200 mile break in period before you go into boost. The Ball Bearing turbos are plug and play. This is why I asked what turbo you replaced it with. I also doubt it was anything to do with the BOV. Did you hear any surge while shifting?

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
And your absolutely positive it is not something else like the turbo to I/C hose popping off or a connection of the like not sealing?

blakeleversimo

the lines are secure. I know it isn't oil starved cause I cracked the banjo bolt while the car was running and it started spraying oil out

blakeleversimo

I haven't takin it off all the way and checked I cracked the bolt a bit and it sprayed until I tightened it I will have to check once I get off work. I love fixing my cars but I hate trying to diagnose the issue!

blakeleversimo

after looking at the old new turbo I noticed that the damn nut came off the the turbine shaft and it just chewed the blades to shit anyhow I replaced it and it seems to be working good I have driven about sixty miles so far, but I am just a bit paranoid to get on it to much.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Nothing a nut won't fix! :lmao:

Just playing. How did that happen?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
This is obviously a manufacturer defect and I would be screaming bloody murder right about now.

Looks like one of those Chinese pieces of shit to me. Just my guess. These people deserve to be blown off the face of the planet with the shit they sell.

Don't mind me... just venting. :x

blakeleversimo

SERIUSLY this shit is getting old I just blew another turbo I am not sure if I should of stopped driving immediately or what but I drove about ten miles back to to town and I am pretty damn sure I blew my Engine to top it off FML!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
SERIUSLY this shit is getting old I just blew another turbo I am not sure if I should of stopped driving immediately or what but I drove about ten miles back to to town and I am pretty damn sure I blew my Engine to top it off FML!

When was this?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Please give us a full description for what has been done to the car. Mods, tune, etc. so we can help.

blakeleversimo

about two hours ago, I wasn't getting much boost in 6th and 5th gears and it just went, I just got a oil change two days ago and the motor is also definitely blown, in the lower gears it felt normal for boost but in sixth it was pretty gutless. the car is bone stock except for an AEM air intake and turbo inlet hose

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Sucks. Sorry to hear it.
If the motor is definitely gone then their is nothing more to discuss, I suppose. Get a quality rebuild with some forged pistons and start again.