TD_D here, a "wassup" from sunny ZA

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Hey there all, and thanks for the invite - nice to see all the familiar names on here :D

I'm running a 2009 silver GR, stock for all of 400km, at which point I went stage 1. After some deliberations, and _lots_ of forum feedback, decided to go the whole hog, and started down the long (and often frustrating) path of modding - parts availablility can be a pain on this side. Well, it was all worth it - currently on a early run in / performance tune on a full built engine (sleeved), with Dom3XTR and meth, pushing approx. 375awhp. Aiming to crank it up to the mid, possible upper 400's within the next month or two.

Looking forward to a great forum and some quality discussion!

P.S. now I'm curious - if Jared's the site super mod / owner, does he still get to whore it up as spectacularly? :cool:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
:welcome: to the team! Be sure to check out our memberships, and I will let Jared answer that one! Welcome and enjoy we our glad to have you here.

BadlandsRacer

Welcome to the forum!!! I can't imagine finding parts or tuning in South Africa is easy. Bet there's some gorgeous country for pictures, though!

Speaking of which...when are we getting pictures?!

Welcome!

P.S. now I'm curious - if Jared's the site super mod / owner, does he still get to whore it up as spectacularly? :cool:

Welcome!

As for BAD, yeah, I think he just has a license to do it now!

Sadly no. I don't have the time to be the 125 post a day whore I once was. :(

The good news is that the time is instead being used to keep this site running and growing. :D

Paul.c

+4,000,000,000 for pictures in the ZA countryside!! Welcome to the site and please, please, please start a garage, I want to see this beast and it's progression. I'm so glad there is another GR owner on here.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Alright, alright... I'll start up a journal with pics (crikey, I still haven't finished my on IWSTI, got seriously time constrained by finance degree, at the ripe old age of 38, in the second half of the year).

Countryside pics, hmm... I'll have to scratch around to see if I have any with the subi in it - I think I may have some from the Western Cape, Cape Town from early 2010. Otherwise, I can definately post some countryside shots (minus car) in OT, been taking pics (with my trusty Canon EOS 30D, before that EOS30 and 50e - yes, no D and an ancient, but awesome 1968 Mamiya medium format... when I had a life, and time, used to develop and print B&W shots. Been ages though.)

Next exciting steps on the car, which I cannot wait for are:
- Injectors! Still running stock :shock: (due to delays in getting parts, yeesh) - hence the low boost at the moment - only 1.4 bar, I think that's 20PSI - and even so, IDCs sometimes hit 110%... Logging it constantly, zero knock, so definately not leaning out. Not a fate I would like to tempt though.
- Coilovers (going for BC's, I know I know, but best bang for buck at the moment, and given the state of the roads at the moment - something with a _little_ give makes sense for DD as well)
- Kelford cams (264/264) - these were supposed to go in with the initial build - were ordered, arrived - and were discovered to be for the EJ20. Frigging hell. Hopefully later this year.

A couple of pics - still from my original journal - some bits have already changed (discovered a boost leak when it went for final tune, replaced some piping and clamps). Will promise to take some new ones asap - but will post on journal.
IMG_6898.jpg

IMG_6899.jpg

IMG_6900.jpg

IMG_6901.jpg

IMG_6902.jpg

Last edited:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Yeah, it's great, especially combined with their Street E-boost 40 controller. Plus, and I hate to admit it, the 'woosh' (BOV'ish!) sound is fantastic. Deep down, I'm a ricer evidently :lol:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
^ Chuckle... is that the standard Mod response? :tard:

I've been following your aerocharger / engine build. Wow. That's all I can say!

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Thanks - I'll definately take you up on that. I was a complete noob not even a year ago, it's been a steep learning curve. I actually wish I had the time to do some of the wrenching myself (used to when I was a broke college student, 20 years back, but it's been a long time) - and time is a scarce commodity. The first time I started reading up on the Romraider / openecu forums, my head hurt for days! You need patience with this stuff...

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I'm sure its possible - it's more a problem of distance here than not being able to get the parts, so transportation costs are outrageous for anything with weight (plus you get shafted on duties, since we have a fairly protected motor industry - well 'incentivised' to promote exports).

Can you guys not import spec c parts directly to the States? I figure if it is a problem, importing it through an Australian distributor (e.g. whiteline) would make a lot of sense - trade is strong between Asia/Pacific and Australia - you'd still get shafted on transportation though. Australia's even further than South Africa from everywhere!

I was thinking about heads as well, but it seems that it's something you do when you are really trying to squeeze the last piece of performance (or an extreme build - not unlike you, chuckle)

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Hmm... interesting to know, I'll definately look up that sticky - always keen on learning something new!

Quick update - yes, yes, I'll start a journal, just too lazy at the mo...

Catch-can went in today, quick install. My injectors are here! Bosch 1100cc :twisted:. That should do it, chuckle...

The bastardmobile is going in on Monday for further install - injectors, coilovers plus all bushings. I'm sure he won't have time to do a tune (other than recalibrate the injector latencies, obviously), but maybe I'll get a road tune with a bit moar juice and powa! I expect that when we dyno tune the new injectors we'll hit well over 400whp. I wonder whether it will be possible to push the boost to 2.3bar :twisted: (sleeved block, reworked heads, forged pistons, rods, etc. already done). I'm sure he'll tell me to take it easy still - only 2500km on the new block and still wants me to run dino oil to ensure everything seats properly.

So after that only the Kelford 264 cams remain (well, until I next get the mod itch, that is, chuckle). Famous last words, but I'm sure upper 400's whp should be "ok" :lol:

110107_132955.jpg

Last edited:

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Well, baby's gone in today for the injectors (1100's), coilovers and all bushings, and decided to add an oil cooler to the list, to be on the safe side.

Final high boost map, aiming for 2.0 bar, should comfortably get me to mid 300wkw - so 470 to 480 whp. Yeah!