HKS SSQV has quit working

MILLI_VANILLI

OK my HKS SSQV blow off valve has quit working, and I am getting compressor surge. I have looked at and replaced all of the the vacuum lines. I have also taken the the blow off valve off and inspected the o ring, the compression ring, and the flange to find no defects. I re- installed everything and the BOV is still not working. Could it be that the BOV is dead, or is there a way to completely disassemble it and clean it. I am lost at this point. I am willing to but a new BOV if necessary but is there anything i missed in inspecting everything? Does any one know if the valve can get dirty and needs to be disassembled and cleaned, and if so how do you do it ..... THANKS 2007 STI LIMITED. Garret GT35 rotated

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
A real HKS rarely fails but when they do it is often the diaphram. Test it by sucking on the vacuum port. If it doesn't hold vacuum then it is bad... or you can purchase a synapse synchronic BOV. No diaphram to fail and you will rarely have problems. Flows better also.

MILLI_VANILLI

Thanks for the reply. I followed your advice and i sucked on the vacuum line, the diaphragm did not budge. When i blew into it after sucking on the line it made a pop sound. I am assuming it working correctly. I did notice that the lines from the nipple on the BOV to the intake manifold do seem big though, as in the incorrect size. Is that an issue? There not massive but noticeably larger.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thanks for the reply. I followed your advice and i sucked on the vacuum line, the diaphragm did not budge. When i blew into it after sucking on the line it made a pop sound. I am assuming it working correctly. I did notice that the lines from the nipple on the BOV to the intake manifold do seem big though, as in the incorrect size. Is that an issue? There not massive but noticeably larger.

As long as the the line is sealed it shouldn't matter how big they are.

Okay this is going to sound homo, but when you suck on the nipple you should observe the mechanism to move. You should be able to stick you finger in there while you suck to feel it move. When stop sucking or start blowing you should not hear any popping.

I'm laughing while writing that :lol:. Anyway it sounds like it might be binding to me.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Oh man I can say so much right now! Lol.
Ok, I won't. Back to sucking, blowing and fingering. Lol.. Lol my gosh I laughed.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
:rofl:

This has turned into a great read now.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
A real HKS rarely fails but when they do it is often the diaphram. Test it by sucking on the vacuum port. If it doesn't hold vacuum then it is bad... or you can purchase a synapse synchronic BOV. No diaphram to fail and you will rarely have problems. Flows better also.

+1 for Synapse. I've got one and I love it.

MILLI_VANILLI

WOW ..LOL.. I though the same thing as I was typing all that. I still can not get the HKS to work so I am going to go with what you pro's say and get the synapse, However is that BOV going to fit in the same flange as the HKS, or do i need a new flange?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
There is an option for HKS flange or they sell the flange seperately. Are you venting to atmosphere or reciculating?

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

you're going to like the response from your engine and turbo after the switch. you'll also notice that the engine no longer feels like it's working harder to rev, and the boost recovery between shifts will be quicker. check your boost because you maybe overboosting now due to the fact it doesn't leak boost and is rated up to 60 psi.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Exactly... it is designed to remain open during vacuum/closed throttle... It essentially bypasses the entire intake system between the MAF and the throttle body during vacuum and closed throttle. The moment the throttle is open the valve closes and resumes normal operation. The effect this has is a much quicker throttle response off idle because you don't have the restriction imposed by the turbo and the delay of the longer intake plenum.

This only works if you use it as a recirculating valve though. If you are venting to atmosphere you lose this feature and you have to use an anti-stall valve that they sell for $30. If you are speed density or blow-through, then it doesn't matter.

It is the only valve on the market, that I know of, that improves performance beyond shifting.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
This only works if you use it as a recirculating valve though. If you are venting to atmosphere you lose this feature and you have to use an anti-stall valve that they sell for $30. If you are speed density or blow-through, then it doesn't matter.

Are you sure this isn't the other way around? I am VTA my Synapse valve. I have the anti-stall piece, but I don't have it installed currently. I seem to remember there being a specific reason I took it off after install and test drive.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Not by my recollection. :tup: Also the videos they have on the synapse site have it as I suggest it.

If it is VTA and the valve is open during idle, then the air coming in is bypassing the MAF and not being metered.

Not sure how yours is working :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I should have added, my MAF is in a blow-thru configuration.

I'm sure you know what I mean, Holy. For everyone else, it's
that my MAF is moved--between the blow off valve and the
throttle body--so the valve vents boost as needed BEFORE the
air is ever metered by the MAF.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
So.......now I'm confused. I'm gonna have to take a close look at my valve and consider
the anti-lag piece once again.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So.......now I'm confused. I'm gonna have to take a close look at my valve and consider
the anti-lag piece once again.

I think if you are Blow Through your valve should then be before the MAF and VTA. In that case you should not use the anti stall valve.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Maybe that's why I'm setup like I am. It's been quite awhile now that I've had the Synapse valve installed.