tgv delets and other stuff

thomas evans

so my friend got tgv deletes and what are they what do they do ? and also can you run direct plasma coils and plasma sparks at the same damn time lol? also are manifold spacers something that you really need how do you know when you have exceeded the limits of your intake manifold? has anybody ever used any drive shaft support bushings or rear diff inserts , do they make that much of a difference . the reason I ask is because this sort of a grey area for me and I don't really see too many people talking about these kinds of mods much. how good do heat shields work and turbo jackets and header wrap and uppipe wrap . help me out my noob is showing .

Grinder34

Track Monkey
wow that was a lot of questions, why dont you start a thread per question (or related-question group)!

thomas evans

yeah I know it was a lot lol I guess I should have asked whats up with the parts nobody talks about the abnormal stuff not turbos or intakes or intercoolers but spark plugs differential stuff, manifold spacers , fuel rails

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Most of the stuff you mention (TGV deletes, fuel rails, spacers, etc...) are not necessary for Stage 2, which is where most people end up.

Heat shielding is very common, and yes things like turbo blankets do work. Keeping the heat in the turbo (and away from the intercooler) is a great idea. Many people tape up their IC with heat reflective tape (eg the DEI gold tape) and it can help with heat soak to a degree.

As I said though, if you start a thread on just one thing it'll be easier to address. Some of your questions have already been asked, but I encourage you to ask follow-ups and revive old threads.

For example, here's a thread on header heat shields:
http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?5442-How-important-are-the-header-heat-shields

Grinder34

Track Monkey
yeah I know it was a lot lol I guess I should have asked whats up with the parts nobody talks about the abnormal stuff not turbos or intakes or intercoolers but spark plugs differential stuff, manifold spacers , fuel rails

I thought i'd give another crack at answering your broad question without delving too much into one specific question.

Most of the things you mentioned are not big bang-for-the-buck mods. They are the kinds of things you do when you want to build the car right, and make it the best it can be given other limitations (turbo size). You'll get much more HP out of dropping in a bigger turbo than you will by adding a turbo blanket, heat wrapping your headers, upgrading your fuel rails, doing a tgv delete, AND adding phenolic spacers--but they'll cost about the same. Consequently, they get ignored by most people because they can spend their limited budget elsewhere and get "more power" on a dyno plot.

Does that mean they're not important? No! They're the subtle things that separate a typical build from a good build. They're the kind of things that may result in more real-world power (with heat soak), or power delivery and spool, or even margin of safety.

I again, encourage you to ask more questions, just break them up a bit.

For instance, you piqued my interest in fuel rails--i dont know much about the limitations of the stock ones, and what you gain from going to an aftermarket solution. More flow capacity? more even fuel to each cylinder?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I stand corrected.

But i never said anything about injectors: those are great because the stock ones come pretty much maxed out from what I understand.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I understand what Grinder says about typical builds and good builds and that most people just go for the big turbo right out the gate and don't think about all the other stuff that is important.

+1 on the injectors and billet wheel. You will never realize the potential of your setup until you give it the right fuel and an appropriate tune.

thomas evans

alright I just wasnt sure cause sometimes I hear about these parts and I only see or hear very limited people talk about or even have them so I just know whats up.