When did this come into the picture?

STIKC

I traded my 09 MazdaSpeed 3 in for my 2013 Subaru STI. I have been driving a manual for about 8-9 years now and couldn't figure out why I would randomly stall the STI. It was very rare when it happened but every time I was thinking to myself wtf I didn't do anything to cause it to stall. Finally I pin pointed that I was stalling when ever I was on a hill (varying in angles) and using my clutch to hold the car from rolling back before driving forward (that moment you let off the brake and use the clutch to stop the car from rolling back). Once I confirmed this was when I found myself at random times stalling I decided to conqur to find the reason behind it. After playing with the small hill I was on for 30-60 seconds I realized something that blew my mind away. When the hell did the clutch system evolve??? Not sure when Subaru introduced this, if its brand new, or if everyone else caught this but when you let off the brake on a hill the car will automatically put the correct amount of brake on the car to stop it from rolling back for roughly 2-3 seconds. The only way to activate this is by holding the brake and then releasing on the the hill. This feature allows you to release the clutch and push the gas as if you were on a flat surface. I might be a dork but this is so cool to me and I wonder if everyone knew about it, if its brand new feature or if any other cars have this kind of feature.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
its been around. "Hill start assist" or something like that. Kinda cool for a new driver, but I guess I like the satisfaction of starting smoothly on a steep hill WITHOUT an aid.

ZachTTLM

yea, I have to say that they are taking the fun out of driving with features like this.. The problem is too many people wont take the time to learn how to properly drive, but yet want cars like these so the manufactures invented things like this so that it can be bought by more people so they can make more sales. Kinda like the side sensors on some of the new cars. If people weren't too lazy to use their mirrors there would be less accidents and no need for these expensive sensors that drive the price of the vehicle up.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
yea, I have to say that they are taking the fun out of driving with features like this.. The problem is too many people wont take the time to learn how to properly drive, but yet want cars like these so the manufactures invented things like this so that it can be bought by more people so they can make more sales. Kinda like the side sensors on some of the new cars. If people weren't too lazy to use their mirrors there would be less accidents and no need for these expensive sensors that drive the price of the vehicle up.

If I could like this post a thousand times I would.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Preach it!

Been driving a stick for 20 years. I had a hard time with this hill assist in the beginning. Goes against everything I knew about starting from an incline.
These nanny features on newer cars piss me off. Lane departure sirens, blind spot warning, adaptive cruise, park assist, park sensors and even backup cameras.
Park assist? Really? Just cause some douche can't parallel park, now I gotta pay more for the car.

Mine actually was doing it when ever I had the clutch in and touched the brake no matter if I was on a hill or not. It started doing this after I used launch control and for got to turn off the TC. Dealer said that me lowering the car is what was throwing it off. They said that they had to reset it. All works well now but I still want to know how the hell they reset it. It is off now and staying off!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Mine actually was doing it when ever I had the clutch in and touched the brake no matter if I was on a hill or not. It started doing this after I used launch control and for got to turn off the TC. Dealer said that me lowering the car is what was throwing it off. They said that they had to reset it. All works well now but I still want to know how the hell they reset it. It is off now and staying off!

Dunno. I actually haven't heard of that issue.
Mines lowered and had no issues you speak of. Sounds like you got fed a doodoo samich.

STIKC

Lol you guys crack me up. The part that upset me the most was me stalling when I knew I was correct. Now I know I was stalling because of a granny feature. :(

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Should've bought the non-granny GD version of the STi then! :lol: I kid I kid. :tup: