Hella supertones; how loud?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
So I may be getting the hella dual horns for my birthday and was wondering just how loud they were compared to stock.
I have seen some vids but you know how that goes.
Are the horns a significant improvement or just a mild improvement?
Lets hear your impressions!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I remember seeing somewhere that the stock are in the ~50-60 DB range and the Hella supertones are in the ~100-100 DB range. So basically double the loudness and they are a bit higher in pitch. Definitely noticeable difference though! :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I have two hellas with my factory horns working and let me tell you 4 horns is LOUD!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I remember seeing somewhere that the stock are in the ~50-60 DB range and the Hella supertones are in the ~100-100 DB range. So basically double the loudness and they are a bit higher in pitch. Definitely noticeable difference though! :lol:

That's not how dB works ;)

10 dB is usually considered "twice as loud" so a difference of 40 dB would be 5x as loud...approximately. Although I think 20 dB is considered "4x as loud" so go figure. dB is on a logarithmic scale, but human ears are finicky, so nothing really works out to be truly logarithmic or linear.

I'd love to do a comparison at a meetup someday and see the difference in person vs just a recorded video (which probably does the difference no justice at all)

Spamby

Meat Product Toy

50-60 db? Hell, that's like watching tv or having a conversation. Pretty wimpy if that's the case. Just used an iPhone db app and the room with the tv on is around 60 db.
Db app in the garage had a level of 38. Db meter at the drivers door and horn honking measured 95.
A grinder in the shop measures around 120 db via a real meter and actually the iPhone app measures the same.
I just read that the average horn is around 100 db. Hella is 118db. Significant enough but it may be the dual frequency that really does it.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I have 3 horns hooked up right now. 2 Hella's and 1 OEM. It's pretty damn loud and the multiple frequencies
blend together in a harsh buzzing honk. It's not that it's a whole lot louder than stock, it's just that you don't
expect that sound to come from that Subaru :D.

Also, 118 dB for Hella Supertones is spot on.

Personally, my favorite thing is how they look in the grill.

STIKC

Would it be wrong if I put hella tones for the beep beep. But a air horn for my actual horn? I been thinking about it lol

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Personally, I can't stand vehicles with those air/train horns. Scares the living shit out of me
and should almost be illegal.