Camera suggestions?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Wife needs fathers day suggestions. Looking to get a nice quality camera. I really want an SLR but don't think I need all of that gear so I am looking at something in between a point and shoot and a pro SLR. Easy to use without a lot of fuss.
Something for quality still shots that's able to interpret light settings well.
Budget is 500 and under.

Let me know what you guys think.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
go pro?

Doesn't quite describe the camera that you're looking for, but awesome nonetheless.

Do the Olympus TG-2 and get the accessory lens or you can do the new mirror-less cameras that are the size of the point and shoot but can use dslr lens.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Gopro won't fit my needs at this point. I've got an Olympus pocket camera that dies a decent job.
Just looking for more of something I really dunno at this point.
I had some nice 35mm cameras that I'm more used to but as we all know film is kinda on the outs.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I have 3 cameras. 2 dSLR's and 1 point and shoot. I purchased the point and shoot prior to
my last deployment because carrying around a big dSLR in a foreign country is not always smart.
I've always liked Fuji cameras and I wanted something comparable in performance to a dSLR that
I could carry around in my pocket.

I ended up finding the Fuji JZ500 and I love it. I believe it was $450-500 brand new, a few years
ago so I imagine one can be had for much cheaper. I think MSRP (new) should be around $250.

The feature that really sold me was the zoom. I'm sure some cameras now have surpassed the JZ500
in zoom, but at the time pretty much everything on the market that was a point and shoot (and didn't
break the bank at the same time) had at most 5x Optical Zoom. The JZ500 has 10x Wide Angle Optical
Zoom (and 14 MegaPixels).

I take care of my stuff, but it's been all over the world with me and is a little banged up. Nonetheless, I
still use the camera today and it hasn't missed a beat.

ZachTTLM

My mom just got a Nikon L810, it is very nice and takes great pictures. I also have a Nikon for garage shots that has done very well but don't remember the model number. It is a simple P&S

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Got a canon g11 at work that I use and it stinks.
Got a 35mm canon eos rebel that is a nice full framed but again it's a film camera.
Two friends are photographers and they are pushing me to Nikon. A third is pushing a canon.
I'm so thoroughly confused now.
I do have my eye on this Nikon p510. Can get a bundle with good accessories for about 420.
I may just visit a camera shop and see what they say.

I sell both Canon and Nikon and to be honest they are both very close depending on model. Go for the one that has the controls and interface that you like. Also remember that it is not all about megapixels. The type of image sensor has a much bigger role.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You can always look around for a nice used lens (which is frankly about as important as the camera body, from what I remember). If it's a cannon lens, go cannon. Nikon, go nikon.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I sell both Canon and Nikon and to be honest they are both very close depending on model. Go for the one that has the controls and interface that you like. Also remember that it is not all about megapixels. The type of image sensor has a much bigger role.

Good advice

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
So I went with the Nikon P510. The price was pretty good but what really sold me on it was the 1000mm zoom and it's ability to process low light photos. It's also a medium frame camera or as i have learned it's called a bridge camera... not quite the size of a dslr but not a typical point and shoot.
For the amateur like me this is a nice point and shoot with some good features that I can grow into. Overall it's a nice camera and even if I decide in the future to go with a bad boy this will still fit the bill for everyday nice photo snapping.
Posting test pics in my members journal.