whats the big deal with the gt-r

finallymysti

why do so many people become fanboys over this car. it's really fast in a straight line and goes endlessly. it also grips well but is sort of blah in terms of fun and feed back (worse than the sti). it just feels heavy and comfy. its a great highway/around town tourer/terror. but as far as a fun car to drive and really beat on it just left me wanting more. I think its because its the fastest thing to come to American shores from japan. if it were me, I would spend that money on something else.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I haven't got to drive a new one yet. :(

finallymysti

don't waste your time as far as an experience. go drive an aston v12 vantage. but if your just curious its worth it. I have a side hobby of going and test driving random cars that I can't afford.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I don't see as much hype for it as I did years ago. I think it kind of let some people down as far as performance or whatever is concerned.
I've never truly liked the car. It was always "it's kinda cool" in my book but if I were to spend that kind of scratch on a car, this wouldn't be it.
It's interesting to hear this kind of review of this type of car. I like the honesty.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If i wanted to go out and set blazing lap times out-of-the-box without much invested in track time, the GTR would be my go-to. All its gizmos make it go where you want it to without you having to actually drive that well. I think that's what the large appeal is. Rich people can go fast without too much worry or skill. Put that same guy into a gt3 or a ZR1 and he'd be shitting his pants every time he got on the throttle.

Honestly, it just seems to be a laptime-per-$ for the average joe. I dont think i ever heard a review where someone said how *fun* it was to drive, just how fast. Fun > Fast (hence the Miata craze!).

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
If I had the money for a brand new GT-R, I think I'd consider buying another STi and dumping the remainder of the money on
all kinds of power goodies, done right. Built motor right away, etc. etc. In the end, it'd be stomping GT-Rs and Corvettes.