2006 2.5 impreza wrx

shben

I currently drive a 06 wrx sedan. The check engine light came in had it checked an the codes P0303- cylinder 3 misfire and P0244-turbo wastegate solenoid "A". I will be checking plugs and coils this Sunday. I noticed if I leave it sit and idle it does get warm. I'm thinking coolant system needs flushed for that issue? The engine runs fine, I haven't noticed it running rough or missing out. Still pulls strong, any ideas?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well, for starters, welcome to IGOTA!

I'm assuming you have an Access Port and that's how you read which codes came up. I would reset the check engine light and see if it comes up again. I would refrain from WOT and hard acceleration. Don't boost over 5-10 psi, unless you REALLY HAVE TO. Do a compression test and see if there is any loss with cylinder 3. This way you can see how the other cylinders are doing as well. I don't know too much about the turbo wastegate solenoid. I'm positive the other, more intellectual members can definitely help you out and provide you with heck of a lot more information than I can!

shben

Thank you I appreciate your help. Although I've loved wrxs for years I don't know a lot about them and I'm just at the learning stage. I appreciate the help. An yes I took it to auto zone an they checked it but I didn't have it reset.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thank you I appreciate your help. Although I've loved wrxs for years I don't know a lot about them and I'm just at the learning stage. I appreciate the help. An yes I took it to auto zone an they checked it but I didn't have it reset.

You should look into getting an Access Port then. You can buy a v2 for around $200-$400 depending on condition. :tup: it will be very helpful to you!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I agree, an Accessport is a great tool to have. As for the issue of overheating when you let it sit and idle, I'd recommend
looking at your fans. I can't remember the exact temperature (somewhere between 190-210*F) but the fans should come on
at some point and drive coolant temperature back down about 20*. This should happen cyclically, as the car is not moving there
is no air flowing through the radiator, temps climb and the fans drive it back down. This is why when you are driving harder and
roll up to a red light, you can sometimes hear the fans kick on. It's not uncommon to blow a fuse for the fans. I'd check to
see if the fans are in fact turning on, if not, check the fuse(s). If the fans are coming on, but the coolant temp still increases,
you may have an air pocket somewhere in the system OR your thermostat is shot.

I hope this get's you started down the right path.

By the way, welcome to the community! It's great here. Lots of knowledgeable, respectful people.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I must reiterate what battmobile already mentioned. Do a compression test and let us know what the results are.

shben

I was driving around town last night. Looked done and noticed the check engine light went off. I will be looking into doing a compression test soon anyways tho. I appreciate everyone's help!!

shben

I believe it was all the alternator going out and causing signals to go off. Replacing the alternator Friday an ill keep y'all updated. Thanks again for all the info and help.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Hmmm....that's interesting. I don't know if I've ever seen it before, but theoretically, it is very possible.