Turbo question

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So, the billet wheel inside of a turbo.... That is the topic.

How is a billet wheel held inside the turbo that it spins as many times as one does so in its lifetime? How does it not wear off? Does anyone have a perfect diagram to show if there is any friction or pressure on the wheel being held other than the compressed air pushing through it?

Noob question, just trying to expand my knowledge! :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I think the longevity is due to the fact that it's made out of billet. I don't have specific
numbers, but billet is considerably stronger than the alternatives. Heat and mechanical
stress limit the operating speed of most factory turbine wheels, which is not as serious
of a consideration if a billet wheel is installed. That's my $0.02, but I'm sure there is more
to it that others here could expand on.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wait a minute. Are vf-39s not made out of billet?

If not then what are they made of.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I don't think anything on a VF-39 is billet...I could be wrong though. If I had to guess, I'd say
the hot side is cast iron and the cold side is cast aluminum or steel. Hard to tell and it's been a
lonnnnnnng time since I last saw my old VF-39. :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok then how do vf-39s last as long as they do even though its not as long as a billet wheel? Im at 110k miles now. I have calmed down in the past year and a half though. So the car is treated like royalty and not like a dirty slut getting rammed for her life.

I mean thats how it was when i first got it at 18... :rofl:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You must be lucky. My VF-39 shit the bed before 30,000 miles. Classic 2004 VF-39 problems. Cracked
hot side at the wastegate housing; wouldn't make boost above 14 psi. If yours has lasted a long time,
it's probably because you're not tuned for too much boost. 18-19 psi should be the limit for VF-39's, as
any more boost pushes the operating speeds beyond safe levels which kills longevity. I also think that
billet wheels are balanced far better than the factory wheels, which should in theory, be easier on the
bearings.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The short of it is that billet wheels can be made stronger and lighter whereas cast are usually thicker but heavier to compensate.
Lighter wheels spool faster and stay spinning longer.
Lighter wheels have less stress on bearings.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Bahahaha my limit has been 5 and in emergencies 10 psi!!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
LOL What?! MOAR!!!!!

Cant until this laptop comes in. Ive had too many stupid problems with laptops and tuning. George has been super patient and i cant thank him enough! Since last july :rofl:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Huh, your limiting boost? That's like just laying there naked with a supermodel.

Eh. The supermodel isnt as interesting as she was day 1. :lol: