Types of carbon fiber

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok...... So as some of you may know, I picked up a CarbonCreations carbon fiber wingless trunk this past weekend. If you don't know, well now you do! :lol:

Let me begin by saying what garbage material it is.....

My Seibon CF hood has a greenish hue tint to it and the weaves are seamless and perfect. It is also a PERFECT FIT.
The CarbonCreations CF trunk has a whitish hue tint to it and the weaves have patches where they seem half-assed. It is also a HORRBILE FITMENT.

For a $500-$600 CF trunk, you would expect for it to fit correctly, right? Not the CarbonCreations. The left side of the trunk has a slight curve to it and it overlaps the body/chassis trunk liner..... I'm not sure how the previous owner had it on without the trunk rubbing against the paint. What in the world can I do in order to make this turd fit right? Right now, I am super pissed off that such a trunk is such garbage quality, especially for it's price. I'll take pictures tomorrow because it got dark rather quickly here.

So a couple of questions:

1) What is the difference between white and green hue tint carbon fiber component parts?
2) What can I do to make the trunk fit correctly; what must be adjusted? (I tried everything I could...)
3) I'm so mad that I just want to smash the trunk with a sledgehammer; would you advise me to proceed with this action? :rofl:

When comparing the trunk and the hood side by side, you IMMEDIATELY notice the quality difference. F**k...... Someone please shed some light to this noob! <<<<<<<<<<<

:( :tup:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So sorry to hear that. I don't buy any carbon fiber that ain't Seibon, or I have seen it in person before purchase.

Sounds like the guy maybe ripped you off.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So sorry to hear that. I don't buy any carbon fiber that ain't seibion or have seen it in person before purchase.

Sounds like the guy maybe ripped you off.

If anyone got ripped off, it's the guy who traded me his camera bundle for a JDM MOMO steering wheel! :lol:

I traded the camera bundle for the trunk. So all I spent was $80 on that ~$200 steering wheel. :D :tup:

If anything, I'm going to sell the trunk for $450 to someone around my area. I don't want the headache if I can't make it fit. :(

But... SEIBON FTMFW!!!!! Sheesh man... :eek:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sounds like it warped.

Good bundle deal.

I vote sledgehammer!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
As much as we would ALL love to see that, I don't want to throw away $450 like it's nothing EVEN though it deserves it! :rofl: That would be quite something to see though!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Did you take pics of it installed?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No, It's currently on the torsion bars, but it's open. I can't close it or it'll hit the body panel and ruin my paint! :( I'll see what I can do in the morning when there is light outside.

Lenny2005

I prefer VIS Carbon fiber, cuz u can get the badass carbon-Kevlar that has a gold tint to it. Fitment is EPIC and just great overall quality. I cant speak for seibon since ive never had it, but I was going to try Carbon Creations. but def glad I did not.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Get us a pic tomorrow.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
CarbonCreations is out of the question from this point on. I can vouch for SEIBON for perfect fitment and durability. I had my hood on this past winter and it held up like winter didn't even exist.

Will do, JJ! :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
That sucks. Sounds like fiberglass with a carbon or carbon look cloth.

I vote dissection with extreme measures.

Lenny2005

Well, ive had my Carbon fiber trunk and hood from VIS on my car 24/7 for 3 years and still looks beautymus. Don't count VIS out! They are good people and a great product as well!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok boys, I got pictures!

First and foremost, you can see the color difference in this crappy picture I took! :tup:

Second, you can't really tell from these pictures, but the first one is going to be the SEIBON and the second one is CarbonCreations. Can't see the color difference as great when it's not under natural light, so I'll post pictures of that in an hour or so when I pull the car out.

Here is the left side:

Here is the right side:

Now, these are with the holes provided from CarbonCreations. I tried adjusting it the right a little bit and it wouldn't work at all. I'm guessing either new holes or bending the torsion bars is the only way of getting it align, which I won't be doing either of those options.......

Why in the world is the left side curving outwards and the right side curving inwards?? Makes no f**king sense!!! I have no idea how the previous guy had it on his car. He showed me pictures and it looked like it fit just right..... :tdown: :banghead: :)) :rambo: :angry:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Holy crap you weren't kidding when you said it was wack!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Tried once more to put it on. I can align it with only 3 of the 4 screws. The top left hole of the trunk isn't drilled in the correct spot, so that's why it won't align right. Looks OKAY with just the 3 bolts in. However, I ran into yet another problem. When bolting the latch on, the holes aren't drilled to specs and the trunk won't close because the drill holes aren't where they should be. Head ache removed! :angry:

So, I waxed it, posted it up for $450 or trades. We shall see what happens. :tup:

Never again CarbonCreations, never again! :D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
With my VIS CF trunk i had to file out the holes on the trunk "hinges" to get it to fit right. Then i had to shim the latch bolts (on the latch on the trunk )with some washers. Something like that might work for you.

The Seibon CF trunk required me to shim the trunk-side latch with some washers to angle it slightly differently.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
With my VIS CF trunk i had to file out the holes on the trunk "hinges" to get it to fit right. Then i had to shim the latch bolts (on the latch on the trunk )with some washers. Something like that might work for you.

The Seibon CF trunk required me to shim the trunk-side latch with some washers to angle it slightly differently.

I tried everything. It's not worth any more headaches at this time. I need to get rid of it asap cause it's like cancer.... :rofl:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I prefer VIS Carbon fiber, cuz u can get the badass carbon-Kevlar that has a gold tint to it. Fitment is EPIC and just great overall quality. I cant speak for seibon since ive never had it, but I was going to try Carbon Creations. but def glad I did not.

I agree with this... I like VIS the most. Though Siebon is very nice it does come with it's problems. Mine had allot of stress cracks and sun damage. My friends VIS look like new after two years. Plus the weave on the VIS is much tighter and flows better IMO. But I do like Siebon also.