loose thin metal sound

SeanZ

i got a 05 sti and everytime i come to a stop or mostly when im not accelerating as much i heard a rattling noise of thin metal its getting louder now so i stopped driving it... what could it be?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
From what part of the car does it sound like its coming from?

SeanZ

the engine but i cant tell where because when i come to a stop it doesnt make the noise anymore also no cel

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Could it be that you have a turbo heat shield not bolted in all the way?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
its all stock and its never made the sound since i bought it till yesterday

Wow thats random then. Pop the hood and have someone rev it a little bit see if it makes the sound again.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well if youre slowing down... Brakes?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Other heat shields that I'd take a look at would be on the header, up pipe and down pipe.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
How fast do you have to be going for it to make the sound? Is the sound related to engine speed or car speed? Have you done a full visual of the engine bay, wheels/brakes, and under the car?

jswansti

+1 for a heat shield loose or cracked. My up pipe heat shield is actually cracked around the top and rattles while I'm driving, but not always at idle or certain cruising speeds, just depends on conditions/vibrations. Something I'm gonna try to fix this weekend...good luck!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Glad you found the issue! Good luck on the fix and let us know how it goes! :tup: