stick shift noob over here!!!

SeanZ

I've been driving a MT for a few days now and I cannot for the life of my get the car to do smooth gear transitions. Every single time it seems to jerk a little bit except for 3-4 and 4-5-6. I got my friend to drive the car cause he's very experienced with MT and no jerking at all. Any tips for this?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Practice makes perfect!

:tup:

Cant go into explanation right now but im sure someone else can in the meantime!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Definitely practice makes perfect. Even then, it's not going to be perfect every time.
Been driving stick shifts for 20 years and still on occasion have newb moments. Rarely, but it happens.
Best I can describe it is finesse with the clutch and throttle. Just gotta find that sweet spot.
I can also say that the STi is one of the hardest cars to drive and get smooth gear changes. They are just inherently quirky. Every car is different, some easy and some not so easy.
Try driving a thoroughly worn out two ton truck, splitters with a gear throw like a fruckin row boat, in gridlock with a heavy load on it. Lol. That's pucker factor.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Practice.

When im driving alone, i tend to be jerky, because I'm not paying attention--that's the key. I brace myself and get sloppy. Just at every shift, pretend like your grandmother is in back and take your time. Pretend like there's a full glass of water in your cupholder and you dont want to spill. Fast shifts are great at the race track, but try taking it step by step for smooth.

Put the clutch in, let it ride for a sec. Blip the throttle, and eeeeeaaaaaassseee the clutch out. Make it slow and smooth and practice that. Pretty soon it'll be second nature.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
You may not have your seat adjusted quite right. At least for me, even a minor adjustment
to my seat either makes me drive like a 16 y/o noob or be able to consistently work the clutch.
I want my seat set so that my knee is ALMOST locked out when the clutch is on the floor.
I hope this helps, let me know how it feels.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
In before grinder is secretly fujiwara! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Ohhh, I see now why I don't watch it.....it's anime. No offense, just not my style.