where to buy smoked headlight and taillights 04 sti

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
does anyone know where I can buy d.o.t approved smoked headlights and taillights for my 04 sti

The only thing i have ever seen is a guy that goes by the name "blue bat" on iwsti selling legal overlays for the headlights and taillights. He also does side markers and fog lights. Beside him i have seen people do VHT layers on their lights. I personally did 2 very light coats of VHT on my tails and you cant tell the difference unless you compare to a stock taillight.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Ugggghhh....I don't know if I'd do this if I were you. I installed Lamin-X tint overlays a couple years ago
and although they looked pretty cool....for a while....in the long run, they are not the best idea. If I were
to do tint my head/tail lights again, I'd use NiteShades spray. I can expand on this a little later if you like,
super busy at work right now.

EDIT: At the time, I lived in a very urban area with lots of lighted roadways. I didn't realize until I moved,
just how much headlight output was reduced with only the "light smoke" (15% reduction in light) overlay.
On dark roads at night, especially when raining, it was pretty hard to see the road. When a car would come
toward me with it's lights on, it was downright scary.

So because of this, I removed the overlays. The adhesive left behind is absolutely TERRIBLE to remove.
I've been working on this, little by little for the last 6 months and I'm about half way done. New headlights
are incredibly expensive when new and difficult to find used.

Basically it's been nothing but a colossal pain in my ass. I hope this helps a little bit.

Last edited: