Subie love

Panchosti208

I know every one on her loves subie. Does any one just want to talk about them like the pros and cons The best year of stis made or what the best upgrades. I know that ej motors are a nightmare for broken oilpick up tubes.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I know every one on her loves subie. Does any one just want to talk about them like the pros and cons The best year of stis made or what the best upgrades. I know that ej motors are a nightmare for broken oilpick up tubes.

* Killer-B makes a better oil pick up. I plan to install one when I build my motor.

* 2004's are sometimes known for their weak transmission synchros, on gears 4-5-6 (I know, I have an 04 with some grinding issues). Shift forks can get messed up on many models. 2004's suffer from some steering vagueness and so forth, many people remedy this with new steering rack bushings.

* The 2005 had a few adjustments made, like 5x114.3 hubs (2004 had 5x100), this helped the wheel bearings last longer as well. The interior was slightly redesigned for MY2005. I think the major differences were in the dash around the radio/climate control area.

* The DCCD can vary the torque split from 35f/65r on the 04-05 STi and 41f/59r on the 06-11 STi.
More on this at: http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?263-DCCD-info-and-FAQs

* The 2006 is one of my favorites. It's way more aerodynamic than the previous models. Someone once said "the 04/05 STi is as aerodynamic as a brick in the wind."

* Speaking of aerodynamics. The MY06/07's have a raised roof vane, similar in function to the vortex generator on later EVOs.
The STI's roof vane was designed to work in conjunction with the factory wing, though it may even be minimally useful when wingless. Not only does it direct airflow onto the top of the wing, but it also helps slow the rapid separation of airflow from the rear end of the roof. Airflow separation can cause a loose feeling in the rear end while turning at triple digit speeds.

* The 2007 has a longer 4th gear, which Subaru apparently installed so that a stock STi would be able to cross the 1/4 mile line in the top of 4th and a stock EVO of the same year would need to shift up to 5th. The 2007 had some engine issues as many of you know. I don't know if anyone confirmed for sure what the cause of engine failures in 2007's were. The three most popular theories are:

1) bad batch of pistons were installed in 2007, which cracked near or at the ringland.
2) The factory tune was shit. Timing was off just a hair and caused intermittent knock.
3) Along with the factory tune being less than perfect, if 2007 owners bounced the needle off the rev limiter a few times...kablewy!

I have a friend who owned a 2007 STi at one point and he exploded one piston ringland and cracked two others. He also beat the shit out of that car and bounced it off the rev limiter like a tool and side step the clutch.

I've heard that one main reason hitting the rev limiter can be so damaging is because RPMs are limited via fuel cut. Cutting off fuel even momentarily at 7,000 RPMs creates a brief lean AFR condition that can damage the pistons.

Beyond the GD body, I don't know too much. Nothing against the GR's, just always been a GD guy.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
My favorite year is the 06. Set up right it can look really aggressive. It has several improvements to suspension and engine over previous years and handling that has not been matched in later years IMO.

As a tuner I feel Subaru is one of the easiest and most supported platforms to tune whether you have a Cobb AccessPort or open source

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow that was a great read. New info and refreshing my memory with previous knowledge.

04 definitely feels a lot different than the rest. No luxury at all in my car anyways. Every other sti thats 05-07 that ive gotten into feels like a totally different car. You hear everything in my car. And by everything i mean evwrything. Rattles. Squeeks. Ect ect. And its not cause i dont maintain it. Everything is just so brittle and shitty and thats why i love my rally beast. Im convinced thats not how it was at 1 mile when it was brand new in 2003 though. :lol:

How is the interior on the 05-07 after wear and tear? It cant be as bad!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
When I got my 04 STi it has 2300 miles on it, and to be honest it totally feels different than 05-07 for sure. I then drove an 08, and 11. Nite and day difference! The 04 has true rally roots. ;)

I love mine till death do us part.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Dont get me started with GR vs GD! :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
From what I've heard and saw it's a complete change.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
From what I've heard and saw it's a complete change.

Ok. I havent seen anything on the sti yet. Only wrx. Is there any info out there on the sti yet?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Wow that was a great read. New info and refreshing my memory with previous knowledge.

04 definitely feels a lot different than the rest. No luxury at all in my car anyways. Every other sti thats 05-07 that ive gotten into feels like a totally different car. You hear everything in my car. And by everything i mean evwrything. Rattles. Squeeks. Ect ect. And its not cause i dont maintain it. Everything is just so brittle and shitty and thats why i love my rally beast. Im convinced thats not how it was at 1 mile when it was brand new in 2003 though. :lol:

The 2004 also sports the lowest curb weight of all the USDM STIs at 3,263 lbs. One reason the newer model years are quieter, heavier and seem more refined is the addition of extra noise deadening material. IIRC, many 2004 STi's did not even come with a radio.

Don't worry guys, my '04 sounds like that too. :lol:

EDIT: Speaking of which, my steering column has been making some bad noises lately. I only hear it once a week or so, but uuugggghhh it sounds terrible. I'm gonna tear it all apart in a couple months, clean everything up, inspect for damage/wear and put in Whiteline steering rack bushings.

When I have the steering wheel turned almost the whole way either side, pulling into a parking spot generally where the surface is f-ed up...pot hole, huge crack, uneven, etc. I hear a low, clunk, from the engine bay and I feel it in the steering wheel.
Anyone else have this??? :lol:

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
LOL!

We all know the GR is soft!! :rofl:

Hey now!

Yes, the GR is soft in stock form. Mines not so much anymore.
The chassis is supposed to be stiffer.
The interior seems of better quality with less rattles.
I really don't notice much in the way of sound dampening materials.
Still yet, the GR is not very civilized when compared to other modern performance vehicles. IMO.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Lol spamby.

Hype hype hype holy!

Batmobile, i have not expericed that! :(

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I think someone is butt hurt, lol.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I vaguely understand ALKs. Does the GD, or more specifically the 04 benefit enough from this to warrant spending the money and the work.
IIRC, install on those sucks huge donkey dicks.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
From what I've seen, the GD does benefit from this. Also, it seems to be a real pita busting the bolts loose.
The GR is a bit different and a pretty easy install with a press only being the most difficult part... or not really.