Oil leak running down filter

BenErnest

Hello. My name is Ben and I'm new to this forum. I own a 2005 sti and I've had a continuous slight oil leak. It seems to be coming from the seal of my oil cooler. But I'm unsure. I lose about a quart every oil change yet rarely see spots and cannot trace it. If anyone has had this problem or has any guesses please let me know. Thanks!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Hello and welcome, Ben.
Head over to the introductions thread and formerly introduce yourself and tell us more about your car.

A quart of oil isn't bad considering these cars love to use oil.
Your leak sounds like it could be the cooler gasket. Clean everything really well under there and then check it often to find out exactly where it's coming from.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome!

As spamby said, sometimes these cars just eat a bit of oil.

But its worth investigating the leak.

I've never had this happen to myself, but i've heard:
Sometimes the rubber gasket from the previous oil filter will stick to the engine block (not be removed with the filter), so you have a double gasket when installing the new filter. That can lead to a poor seal.

BenErnest

I've tried the old powder trick to track it and nothing turned up. Also I degreased the area in question. I know there is only one seal on the filter (I'm kind of paranoid about it, happened once and it didnt end well). Nothing seems to be caking except around filter and cooler. I'm going to follow up on the cooler gasket and see if it has just dry rotted over the years. Thanks for the help and quick responses!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What oil filter you using?

BenErnest

I've ran the purolater, Bosch, k&n, and Fram ultra synthetic. Every one has produced same problem. The Bosch had the longest time on before I noticed leak though

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Have you tried a factory Subaru filter?

BenErnest

No I haven't. Have to order them online and have them shipped where I live. Closest subaru place is an hour away

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Not to say you don't know how but you do lube the filter gasket and tighten about half turn after hand tight?
Just want to eliminate the filter or your procedures.
I've used Bosch, K&N, subaru blacks and blues, Mobil 1, Napa, Fram and Wix, on this car, and have never had a leak.

BenErnest

Yes it's always lubricated. I can tell its caked around the cooler. I'm just going to pull the cooler and replace the filter. Will let you guys know if it fixes it. Thanks for the help