Long term health of your STI...

Alter3go

There are many of us that spend countless time and money on/in our vehicles and we all use them for different purposes...I personally would like to start some good practices now with my vehicle while its still a baby lol. In short what are some thing that you all are doing to prolong the health of your vehicle? It can be anything/everything from the type of oil you use to recommended parts. I want to do smart buys and get it right the first time so any and all help is appreciated and I am sure others will benefit from this post.

i hope you all get what I'm saying :-D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Change the oil often!

Plus use Amsoil Dominator Racing Oil. :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I second changing the oil frequently. Also check your oil every time you fill up with gas. These things go through a bit.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You get it for cost if you're a Platinum member. ;)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good deal. ;)

35r

Check fluids, stay away from redline, use good gas and oil, don't drive like a dick. There are alot of different things that you can do to help... But in the end, it is a racecar from factory, and things will break. It doesnt matter if you drive carefully and check everything every time you get in the car. At some point when you least expect it, something will break. I break parts all the time. My car isnt meant to be driven carefully and babied. Build,beat,break,repeat. Its a cycle. Alot of guys dont understand that and end up getting frustrated and upset, but its fact. There are things you can do that will maybe help it stay functional for a longer period of time, but nothing is garenteed.

Alter3go

^^ that is simply well put and I do appreciate that comment. I mean I did buy it to enjoy my drive a bit more than the average person thanks for that input!

How often are we talking?

Pretty often 3k intervals is just fine. learn from my mistakes, check your oil after leaving it on a level surface and give it time to settle in the pan, I usually let it sit overnight. then before I take her out, I check the oil, and even then ill stare at my oil pressure upon start up to make sure its a good reading, invest in an oil pressure gauge, also oil temp too so you know how warm your oil is before your throwing it around and busting seals. typically when your coolant temp on your dash is warmed up, it will take 2X longer for the viscosity of your oil to be warmed up to operating temp for full boosting :tup:

Alter3go

Thanks I didn't think them gauges were necessary on my vehicle I'm only running stage 2 + I've never tracked it either

35r

I change mine every 1500. But i have a few things done and i beat the shit out of my car. Nothing goes in but the green stuff. BPR Oil FTW!

Thanks I didn't think them gauges were necessary on my vehicle I'm only running stage 2 + I've never tracked it either

Not necessary, just a more accurate way of knowing your motor is healthy :tup:

Noximus

Wash it!

I'm stock and I'm getting my full gauge setup before I even start to need a tune. I've always managed my projects by knowing the base facts or values before making changes. It's not required obviously, but the more information you get familiar with and the more data you look, at then the easier it gets to troubleshoot an issue early on.

As previously said, change oil every 3k miles. Check oil as often as you can.

Avoid red line and the fuel cut at all times.

Learn the sounds. Get used to
the normal ones. Ride solo without music or any other sounds once in a while to make sure you're not missing something. Early detection is key!

Research, research, research. Everybody has their opinion, but the only that matters is yours once you've got the knowledge. It's your car after all!

Finally, don't stress too much. You bought it for a reason. Use the car as it's meant to be used!

Alter3go

Wash it!

I'm stock and I'm getting my full gauge setup before I even start to need a tune. I've always managed my projects by knowing the base facts or values before making changes. It's not required obviously, but the more information you get familiar with and the more data you look, at then the easier it gets to troubleshoot an issue early on.

As previously said, change oil every 3k miles. Check oil as often as you can.

Avoid red line and the fuel cut at all times.

Learn the sounds. Get used to
the normal ones. Ride solo without music or any other sounds once in a while to make sure you're not missing something. Early detection is key!

Research, research, research. Everybody has their opinion, but the only that matters is yours once you've got the knowledge. It's your car after all!

Finally, don't stress too much. You bought it for a reason. Use the car as it's meant to be used!

This is amazing advice a do a lot of this quite often and my wife thinks I'm crazy or obsessed I just want to protect my investment, but you can never be to safe. I love it and like that there are like minded individuals out there. Thanks for the input. I do take a lot of time to study this thing in the garage. The guys on this site are real knowledgeable so I spend a lot of time reading their inputs/humor. I agree with this approach. Thanks again!