Running vehicle at low RPM

jprischak

Hi guys, I am just bought my first Subaru. It's a 2013 WRX 5 door. I have never had a turbo vehicle before. A buddy was telling me that if you drive a turboed vehicle at low rpm you will build to much pressure in the intake. I thought that the external waste gate prevented the boost from getting to high. I drive jeeps and always shift at low rpm and want to make sure it's not harming the new car.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
im not sure what your friend was trying to say.

At low RPM you very well may not be making any boost at all, so you'll be fine.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So how is it having an STi as your first boosted car?!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Never heard that one before. :?

You'll be fine.

jprischak

I love it, right now I have it covered for the winter to keep the salt off it, but just itching to get it out as soon as winter is over. I tried searching before but couldn't find anything that would breakdown and tell you what model parts that are used for each year Subaru. With jeeps I know what transmission or transfer case is in it just by looking at it and would like to learn more about the wrx now that I own one.

Thanks again for your help.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Well, with the stock turbo, in high gear at low speed, putting your foot to the floor can sometimes produce a fluttering noise which is compressor surge. The turbo is essentially producing more boost than the engine can consume at that low rpm, so a pressure wave travels back to the turbo and produces this effect. As far as I know, compressor surge produced in this fashion generally doesn't damage the turbo like compressor surge from an improper BPV/BOV configuration can. I wouldn't worry about it that much, and though I sometimes cruise at 1,750 rpms, I don't put my foot to the floor below 2,000 rpms.
Just shift down.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I love it, right now I have it covered for the winter to keep the salt off it, but just itching to get it out as soon as winter is over. I tried searching before but couldn't find anything that would breakdown and tell you what model parts that are used for each year Subaru. With jeeps I know what transmission or transfer case is in it just by looking at it and would like to learn more about the wrx now that I own one.

Thanks again for your help.

Then I'll be testing your jeep knowledge.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well, with the stock turbo, in high gear at low speed, putting your foot to the floor can sometimes produce a fluttering noise which is compressor surge. The turbo is essentially producing more boost than the engine can consume at that low rpm, so a pressure wave travels back to the turbo and produces this effect. As far as I know, compressor surge produced in this fashion generally doesn't damage the turbo like compressor surge from an improper BPV/BOV configuration can. I wouldn't worry about it that much, and though I sometimes cruise at 1,750 rpms, I don't put my foot to the floor below 2,000 rpms.
Just shift down.

Time for you to educate me.
My boost gauge shows i dont get almost any boost until over 2k (the exact rpm escapes me). Even then its pretty low boost until something like 2500-2700. So how does the compressor surge happen with such low boost?

Hi guys, I am just bought my first Subaru. It's a 2013 WRX 5 door. I have never had a turbo vehicle before. A buddy was telling me that if you drive a turboed vehicle at low rpm you will build to much pressure in the intake. I thought that the external waste gate prevented the boost from getting to high. I drive jeeps and always shift at low rpm and want to make sure it's not harming the new car.

I think your buddy was trying to say don't drive in a high gear (example 4th or 5th) going slow in a low rpm, because if your were to floor the gas pedal (WOT), it would over boost. Its not good to do so in turbo'd cars.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Keep in mind, I haven't had the stock turbo in my car for a few years now, so I don't remember the exact rpm. I do remember going down the road somewhere between 1800-2400 rpms or so, in 5th or 6th gear and having this happen briefly when I put my foot down. Sounds like pft pft pft pft pft pft...until the rpms come up enough that the engine can eat all that boost. When I was noticing this, the car was completely stock. My tuner at the time agreed that this was slight compressor surge. We could even hear it with the car on the dyno. With the GT30 installed, I have never noticed this.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I am trying to figure out a way to better describe this. Is everyone following what I'm saying?
If I can find a YouTube video where you can actually hear it happening, I will post it.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I think your buddy was trying to say don't drive in a high gear (example 4th or 5th) going slow in a low rpm, because if your were to floor the gas pedal (WOT), it would over boost. Its not good to do so in turbo'd cars.

The boost control system/wastegate should be able to compensate enough to prevent damage. IF your wastegate was running on only the spring, I can see this possibly being an issue.
I drive in high gear/low rpms A LOT.
A good chunk of my commute is spent cruising below 2,000 rpms. But when I am, I keep the engine load light. If I need to put the pedal down, I downshift.

All in all, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The boost control system/wastegate should be able to compensate enough to prevent damage. IF your wastegate was running on only the spring, I can see this possibly being an issue.
I drive in high gear/low rpms A LOT.
A good chunk of my commute is spent cruising below 2,000 rpms. But when I am, I keep the engine load light. If I need to put the pedal down, I downshift.

All in all, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I agree for sure he has nothing to worry about, being lightly modified on a stock turbo. but Im talking about going 20mph in 4th and 30mph in 5th, when you should be near 40-45mph, then give a load. I have a JDM trans too so my gears might be different. when im 65mph in 6th im at 3200rpm

^ Oh yeah, I'm at about 3250rpms in 6th at 80mph.

OP youll be fine.

I love my short gears though :D i dont go on the highway much anyways, Im slowly making her a weekend warrior. She is my DD now, but I tend to stay away from driving her hard everyday. I need to find an ECO friendly vehicle soon.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
She is my DD now, but I tend to stay away from driving her hard everyday. I need to find an ECO friendly vehicle soon.

:lol: I hit peak boost almost every day. At least once going to or from work. Merge onto the interstate at 90-100...? Yes please.

My fuel consumption shows it, believe me. :roll:

I don't beat the car up, but I am somewhat of an impatient driver.

Last edited:
:lol: I hit peak boost almost every day. At least once going to or from work. Merge onto the interstate at 90-100...? Yes please.

My fuel consumption shows it, believe me. :roll:

I don't beat the car up, but I am somewhat of an impatient driver.

Haha I cant say I dont hit peak everyday either :roll: I get about 265-275 miles to the full tank, LOL But when I'm driving, I know now to drive properly with my experience of blowing up a fully built motor because of a wrong dipstick. I tend to keep on the weary side, and give her juice down my street so I'm closer to home :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member