revved high rpm

SeanZ

i recenly broke into my new motor reached 1k miles on the new rebuilt motor and yesterday i was driven it and accedently revved it to8 or 9k cant remember cuz i was use to my other car has a stiffer gas pedal a little bit and this one is super light like pushing a feather lol i just had a heavy foot yesterday but nothing wrong with the engine at all im just worried if i over revved it i hear the stock bpv even spool by just revving and it was pretty loud with just stock sti exhaust lol whats the limit to revving a sti? its an 05 btw thnx

Grinder34

Track Monkey
redline is 7k for the usdm ones.

Did you downshift and over rev that way?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Don't they have a rev limiter at 7500 rpm? I think that's what I remember seeing.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
i guess i hit that then i felt that a bit lol is that fine to the motor??

It shouldnt damage the engine if you were in neutral. As long as youre not in gear bouncing off the limiter.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
IMO It is never good to free rev the engine to red line. Just one time isn't going to do anything but try not to ever hit the limiter either free reving or in gear. How's your oil pressure now?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
holy, if thats the case, what are your thoughts on lowering the rev limiter? Or is the simple act of hitting the limiter bad, no matter what its set at?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Unfortunately when it hits the limiter it is cutting out fuel and as it cycles between enrichment and fuel cut out during the limiting routine, it runs lean. The limiter is not meant to be utilized for long periods of time or frequently. So no matter where the rev limit is it is bad. The better solution would be to manipulate the Drive By Wire tables and limit or reduce power at a specific RPM

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I might be out in left field on this one but couldn't the ignition be used to control rev limits as well?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
it seems like a soft rev limiter would be a nice option. Like at 6500 rpm its gradually cuts power a) slowing the progression to redline b) making it when/if you do hit redline you're not having a drastic change and c) reminding you to shift. Almost like between 6500 and 7000 you're easing off the pedal, but the ecu does it for you. Clearly this would be "street mode" and not meant for getting every last 1/10th of a second.

Last edited by a moderator:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I might be out in left field on this one but couldn't the ignition be used to control rev limits as well?

Yes but there is no soultion for us to utilize that method on the OEM ECU. The AEM EMS employs this beautifully. One reason the OEM's don't do this is because ignition cut tends to create backfires and backfires are illegal. The ideal solution would be to employ both and cut fuel just before spark and then when coming back on, start spark just before fuel. The AEM also does this.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
it seems like a soft rev limiter would be a nice option. Like at 6500 rpm its gradually cuts power a) slowing the progression to redline b) making it when/if you do hit redline you're not having a drastic change and c) reminding you to shift. Almost like between 6500 and 7000 you're easing off the pedal, but the ecu does it for you. Clearly this would be "street mode" and not meant for getting every last 1/10th of a second.

For sure... this is something we can do in your tune if you so desire!