Question about water, engine, and hydrolocking

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So which one of you have a great explanation for me on the topic of hydrolocking? Diagram, article, infomercial, ect ect. If you can explain it yourself, then that'd be perfect. Maybe a youtube video?

This will be pertaining to our cars. So, lets begin...

How many ways can water enter our engine? I can only think of the intake and the TMIC. (not sure on the TMIC part though, as I don't know enough about that entry point in this matter)

So, if water enters the intake, and into the engine, we can all take a step back, mourn, and wave good bye. Is this correct?

What happens if the water enters through the TMIC?

The reason for these questions is this picture that I have come across:

1JDbE6d.jpg

So........ Can this car drive through water that would be at the level of the windshield in height? That is what this picture is determined to make me believe. However, since I don't have any knowledge on off roading, mudding, and things of that nature, I don't know really understand. I have seen Jeeps and Land Rovers in the past with intakes that are extended high up like this, but have never read into it. So, back to the rally WRX picture. Would this car be able to drive through water? :lol:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
TMIC I consider the intake tract. If everything is sealed properly then you shouldn't have any water intrusion.
The reason for the snorkel is for the only open port to be above the water line.
Water doesn't compress so when it gets into an engine while it's running it can bend valves, break pistons, among a few.

Another thing to note is that while fording water, your belt driven fan can get all whacked out and send it through the radiator and also tearing anything up along the way. Electric fans can break as well. It's usually a must that you are able to disconnect the fan, mechanically or electrically, before venturing into deep water.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So if you disconnect the fan and have a snorkel, you can drive through water? Is there a certain time limit?

Can you shut the engine off underwater and start it up at a later time?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
So if you disconnect the fan and have a snorkel, you can drive through water? Is there a certain time limit?

Can you shut the engine off underwater and start it up at a later time?

Yes. But don't forget about all if the electric gizmos. Proper care should be taken to help keep water out of sensitive equipment.
No real time limit but I wouldn't spend a long time under there.
Yes and no. It's advise able to keep the engine running in order to maintain exhaust flow so water won't back flow into the engine.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oh shit totally forgot about the exhaust....

So youre telling me that at idle there is enough pressure to NOT ALLOW water to enter???

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I have sat in deep water at idle so I would say yes. Though, I usually will rev the engine a small amount for safety sake.
Water seeks it's own level so if your manifolds or exhaust ports are higher than the water level you should be ok.