Radio Frequency Communications

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Just putting a feeler out there...

How many of you have a HAM Radio Operator's License, HAM or CB radio equipment,
VHF or UHF transceivers?

More and more these days we hear a lot of talk about preparing for the worst, whatever
the cause may be, and maintaining communications is a critical part.

I was an electronics tech in the Navy for 8 years, so I'm pretty well versed on RF Comms,
but I've been thinking lately about getting my HAM license. Even if I don't go that far,
I'm still highly considering a semi-portable CB radio system, something I can carry affixed
to my tactical vest, or in a backpack man-portable mount and that also has hook ups
for headphones and mic, DC power adapter inside the vehicle and a roof mounted whip
antenna.

Thoughts?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I miss my rig. I had fun back in the day when CB was king. I was able to communicate with anyone at any time so I can see it's importance in a post disaster world. I still have my old rig and I keep it for just such calamities. It is unfortunate that CB has been replaced with text and twitter. At the time I couldn't see living with out it.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It seems like if I want to have the best equipment available, I would need a HAM license. I figure, those radios can often dial in individual frequencies where CBs and hand held walkies are restricted to preset channels. Do you think those would be useable in a so called post apocalyptic world? Range is another consideration. It seems that the best handheld are restricted, even at 4 watts, to 2-4 miles LOS.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
It seems like if I want to have the best equipment available, I would need a HAM license. I figure, those radios can often dial in individual frequencies where CBs and hand held walkies are restricted to preset channels. Do you think those would be useable in a so called post apocalyptic world? Range is another consideration. It seems that the best handheld are restricted, even at 4 watts, to 2-4 miles LOS.

I know very little of it but I seem to recall range as being pretty decent. I also recall the HAM network being such that you could communicate around the world.
In a post apocalyptic world, I should think as long as you have power they could work, maybe sans an EMP or high radiation.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You are correct about the HAM network, Spamby. I also thought about getting a large handheld for the best performance and buying an illegal linear power amplifier only for use in the event of disaster. :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Unfortunately, I don't have a basement so I have no natural shielding against EMP. However, my girlfriend mentioned "We're probably pretty safe considering our proximity to Detroit. Who is going to waste a nuke on Detroit?" :lol:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Unfortunately, I don't have a basement so I have no natural shielding against EMP. However, my girlfriend mentioned "We're probably pretty safe considering our proximity to Detroit. Who is going to waste a nuke on Detroit?" :lol:

Maybe they need to nuke Detroit? Looks like a DMZ anyway from what I've seen.
Google "faraday device". Solution to a problem.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
My rig is old tube design and I have a 1000 watt linear to boot. The lights in the house use to dim when I keyed it up. I use to talk to people in Texas over skip on a good night. The tube design is impervious to EMP also so it's a plus in a post disaster word. I'm going to try to dig the thing out of the attic and see if it even works anymore.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Reminds me if this. Let's test your trivia.

Radio Free America Announcer: It's 11:59 on Radio Free America; this is Uncle Sam, with music, and the truth until dawn. Right now I've got a few words for some of our brothers and sisters in the occupied zone: "the chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall", "john has a long mustache, john has a long mustache". It's twelve o'clock, American, another day closer to victory. And for all of you out there, on, or behind the line, this is your song.