Blockage in my boost line?

MleElizabeth

Okay, so I have an 07 STi. Fairly new to the game, I've had it for about a year now, but due to working fast food I am still stock. Does any anyone have problems with blockage in your boost line? I've replaced almost every hose possible and don't play in the dirt too much, but I haven't been able to run full boost for almost 8 months. How much I'm running? I couldn't even tell you. I'm still in the process of the rebuild and want to get everything peachy before I get on any sort of tests or dyno.

HELP!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would need to see a log to be sure but it sounds like you may only be running waste gate pressure which is the failsafe boost level that the ECU commands when something is drastically wrong. This could indicate a number of problems like bad fuel, a leak in the system, faulty components such as solenoids or turbo and even ring landing

I suggest you get a cheap boost gauge and confirm that boost is only hitting 9-10 psi of boost. Then, if that is the case, refrain from ever going wide open throttle from that point forward until you fix the problem.

It is possible you have a faulty boost solenoid. To check it you can apply twelve volts directly to it. This should open the valve and you should be able to blow through it freely. When the solenoid is off you should not be able to blow through it.

There could be a leak somewhere in the intake plenum anywhere between the intake after the MAF sensor and right up to where the intake manifold meets the heads. Check the coupling both before and after the intercooler. The one on the bottom at the outlet of the turbo often comes loose or breaks

You could have a faulty bypass valve. To check that you need to apply vacuum to it and observe that it opens and then closes again when you remove vacuum. You may have to remove it to see that action and you will need to replace the gasket with a new one.

There could be a broken or loose hose to the boost solenoid. Recheck all your hoses and spray some carb cleaner where they connect to things while the car is idling. A change in idle will indicate a trouble area and likely the source of a problem.

Check for a cracked turbo inlet tube. These are notorious for breaking right at the inlet of the turbo. Again spray some carb cleaner down there.

I highly recommend a boost leak test be performed. You can request this from a performance shop or sometimes the dealer. If you know how to take a log I suggest you do so and post it here for us to evaluate it. And get a boost gauge hooked up to check the actual boost level. Otherwise it is all a guess.

Last edited: