Noob questions about corrective driving?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Since, we're talking about it. What should one do if they can't counter the car back and the car starts to lose control in one direction? What are the proper counter measurements to take in order for best end result? (Not in a ditch...)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So, if you were to start losing control like that kid and missed the time frame to counter it, is there anything else that could be done to still counter the soon to be massacre, if applicable? I'll link you a video soon of what a guy was saying that he was taught. Wait for the video please.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Tell me what he means by "put both feet in" exactly, please! At 3:40

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Since, we're talking about it. What should one do if they can't counter the car back and the car starts to lose control in one direction? What are the proper counter measurements to take in order for best end result? (Not in a ditch...)

That's kind of a tough subject because if you don't know what you're doing, you could cause the car to snap back violently in the opposite direction and make your situation far worse. The track is one thing, but a public road surface is often imperfect and there may be moisture, leaves, sand, pea gravel, etc. on the road surface. You may slip temporarily, recorrect, get traction and spin the car off the road in the other direction.

The BEST way to avoid stupidity like this, if you're going to drive this fast, is to keep your weight transfers on the chassis, smooth and as neutral as possible. Accelerate too quickly in a turn and weight transfers to the rear, pulling weight off of the front tires that are trying to turn the car, so they slide and you understeer. Get on the brakes too much going into the turn, the rear end lifts and gets loose while too much weight is on the front wheels so they want to dive in even more steeply, you oversteer into a spin and wrap the car around a tree.

Do what you're supposed to do, finish all your braking before you start turning. So you are finished braking and coasting through your turn when you realize you're still going tooo fast. Slooooowwwwwly and lightly get on the brakes and straighten the wheel out just a hair (because the rear end is going to want to move out). As soon as the car begins to straighten out, get off the brakes and coast until stable before gassing it again.

*The best way to learn this stuff personally and generally not @#$%ing up your car, is to run some autocross. Stay till the end of the day for the 'fun runs' and drive even FASTER than you did earlier. You will quickly learn how the car reacts when weight transfer occurs and grip is lost.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So, all in all, don't do stupid shit on the road. :tup: Got it! :lol:

But, what happens when you put "both feet in"? I'm not understanding that entirely. What does that do exactly? Is it clutch and brake or brake and gas? Please clarify! Cause it sure as hell ain't clutch and gas! :rofl:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Both feet in is, clutch and brake pedal down. I am generally in gear when I'm braking unless I'm slowing way down beneath 25mph or something. In the situation of the guy in the video, I would have been in 4th or 5th, feathering the brake pedal and steering.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok, since we're on braking now, What's the highest speed you've tried stopping very rapidly from? I'm curious how the car acts at high speed braking. The highest I've tested braking from was 70. The car stood in line once the ABS kicked in. What I'm wondering is from anything over 120+ MPH. Does the car still keep straight or does it start to wobble left and right? I'm uncertain how well it's made/acts and would like to know! :tup: If you can provide feedback, that is! :lol: (Should we start a new thread?)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
We can edit the title later, just didn't know how to word it at the moment. :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
@IGOTASTi.COM @Batmobile_Engage

error occured while trying to move posts here!!!!

Not Found

The requested URL /vBforum/vBforum/inlinemod.php was not found on this server.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I don't think I had moderator rights to that section of the forum. I was also just trying to multi-quote all our posts and drop them here but I'm having issues for some reason.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Here we go, I'm gonna quote, copy and paste it all over.

Aaaaaand there you have it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W04WoqsMGUo

See what I mean? It could have been A LOT worse.

What a lucky fuck. Looks like a novice who wasn't even prepared to counter it.... LLUCCCCKKKKKYYYYYY!!!!! I yelled at the screen! :lol:

Right you are. Novice and incredibly lucky.

By the time he tried to correct, it was waaaay too late. I'm going to guess that lift off oversteer is what set the rotation in motion. Lift off oversteer still gets a lot of experienced drivers, but you gotta know your car.

So, if you were to start losing control like that kid and missed the time frame to counter it, is there anything else that could be done to still counter the soon to be massacre, if applicable? I'll link you a video soon of what a guy was saying that he was taught. Wait for the video please.

Tell me what he means by "put both feet in" exactly, please! At 3:40

That's kind of a tough subject because if you don't know what you're doing, you could cause the car to snap back violently in the opposite direction and make your situation far worse. The track is one thing, but a public road surface is often imperfect and there may be moisture, leaves, sand, pea gravel, etc. on the road surface. You may slip temporarily, recorrect, get traction and spin the car off the road in the other direction.

The BEST way to avoid stupidity like this, if you're going to drive this fast, is to keep your weight transfers on the chassis, smooth and as neutral as possible. Accelerate too quickly in a turn and weight transfers to the rear, pulling weight off of the front tires that are trying to turn the car, so they slide and you understeer. Get on the brakes too much going into the turn, the rear end lifts and gets loose while too much weight is on the front wheels so they want to dive in even more steeply, you oversteer into a spin and wrap the car around a tree.

Do what you're supposed to do, finish all your braking before you start turning. So you are finished braking and coasting through your turn when you realize you're still going tooo fast. Slooooowwwwwly and lightly get on the brakes and straighten the wheel out just a hair (because the rear end is going to want to move out). As soon as the car begins to straighten out, get off the brakes and coast until stable before gassing it again.

*The best way to learn this stuff personally and generally not @#$%ing up your car, is to run some autocross. Stay till the end of the day for the 'fun runs' and drive even FASTER than you did earlier. You will quickly learn how the car reacts when weight transfer occurs and grip is lost.

So, all in all, don't do stupid shit on the road. :tup: Got it! :lol:

But, what happens when you put "both feet in"? I'm not understanding that entirely. What does that do exactly? Is it clutch and brake or brake and gas? Please clarify! Cause it sure as hell ain't clutch and gas! :rofl:

Both feet in is, clutch and brake pedal down. I am generally in gear when I'm braking unless I'm slowing way down beneath 25mph or something. In the situation of the guy in the video, I would have been in 4th or 5th, feathering the brake pedal and steering.

Ok, since we're on braking now, What's the highest speed you've tried stopping very rapidly from? I'm curious how the car acts at high speed braking. The highest I've tested braking from was 70. The car stood in line once the ABS kicked in. What I'm wondering is from anything over 120+ MPH. Does the car still keep straight or does it start to wobble left and right? I'm uncertain how well it's made/acts and would like to know! :tup: If you can provide feedback, that is! :lol: (Should we start a new thread?)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Dont quote it :lol: ! Let JJ fix the issue so we can move them over. Looks unorganized if quoted every post.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I've had to stand on the brakes at high speed before, but in those situations, I can't say I was looking at the speedometer. :lol:
I feel that if I'm braking that hard from triple digit speeds, I tend to pump the pedal and bleed off a little speed at a time so the car
doesn't get all squirrely on me.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What happened that he lost control?!?!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It's hard to say exactly. If he would have had an STi wing installed, I'd bet this wouldn't have happened, though many things could have contributed.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Youre saying he was going too fast with no downforce?!

Alter3go

It looked like he hit a nice lil pocket of air and that rear end swung right around into the corner... Poor vehicle

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Youre saying he was going too fast with no downforce?!

I'm saying that those factors sure didn't help matters. :lol: