top mount or front mount intercooler?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Specifically for our cars, FMIC adds a lot of extra volume of air that needs to be pressurized, and a lot of extra pipes. It does keep the intake considerably cooler around town, where the TMIC cooks a bit.

I'd stay with TMIC unless you have a specific need for a FMIC.

I agree. There are a few things to take in consideration as well. Such as, power level, type of racing, will this be your DD, etc...

With a FMIC, you will notice a lag in building boost but you will make better gains due to the cooling efficiency. Higher HP builds you may want to consider a larger FMIC as well. The down side is you have to cut your bumper and delete the stock crash bar. You also increase the chance of boost leaks with all the plumbing.

For something with an FP green range, a top mount is fine. You can also invest in an intercooler sprayer system that is controlled by boost or throttle switch.

zax

As others have mentioned, there is no answer as to "which is best."

My recommendation would be entirely contingent on what supporting mods are paired with the intercooler. You will lose some transient response and spool with the FMIC and tau-tuning (tip-in enrichment) will be a bit less controlled, but increased core size will decrease overall charge temps. The main downside, IMO, of the FMIC is the trimming of the bumper (modifying safety equipment) and the increased piping allows more potential for leaks.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ive seen stis with 700whp that have a tmic. It appears to me its influence and preference. A tmic will do just fine for majority of the needs. Too many variables that determine which is better for your needs!

I agree. There are a few things to take in consideration as well. Such as, power level, type of racing, will this be your DD, etc...

With a FMIC, you will notice a lag in building boost but you will make better gains due to the cooling efficiency. Higher HP builds you may want to consider a larger FMIC as well. The down side is you have to cut your bumper and delete the stock crash bar. You also increase the chance of boost leaks with all the plumbing.

For something with an FP green range, a top mount is fine. You can also invest in an intercooler sprayer system that is controlled by boost or throttle switch.

yes this is my dd which I love just like the fmic look a lot but these are unique cars all round with how they are designed and luckily my intercooler has a spray cooling system already the water tank is in the trunk.

yes this is my dd which I love just like the fmic look a lot but these are unique cars all round with how they are designed and luckily my intercooler has a spray cooling system already the water tank is in the trunk.

For the intercooler sprayer, you may want to upgrade. The stock system is designed for stock. Once you go bigger turbo generating more heat, you may want to consider and upgrade.

Like this:
cooler.jpg

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
^ I plan to reroute my IC spray lines to multiple nozzles for my FMIC as well. I have so many things going on that I don't know when I'll get around to it, but I'll definitely document the work and put it on the forum.

^ I plan to reroute my IC spray lines to multiple nozzles for my FMIC as well. I have so many things going on that I don't know when I'll get around to it, but I'll definitely document the work and put it on the forum.

That would help. Will the stock pump accommodate more nozzles? Is your automatic? Mine you just push to spray it when you want but it doesn't come on like my evo did in automatic mode.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The stock ic sprayer on our cars is manual. You have to keep the button pressed if you want to use it. I believe if you just press the button once then the sprayer sprays for 2 seconds.

zax

The stock ic sprayer on our cars is manual. You have to keep the button pressed if you want to use it. I believe if you just press the button once then the sprayer sprays for 2 seconds.

I remember (back in the day) many were using an I/O with UTEC to control the IC sprayer.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
With one button press, it seems to run for at least 3-4 seconds. I think the stock system would work okay with more nozzles, provided I don't get crazy with a ton of extra tubing and such. Iirc, there are normally 2 nozzles being used.

For the intercooler sprayer, you may want to upgrade. The stock system is designed for stock. Once you go bigger turbo generating more heat, you may want to consider and upgrade.

Like this:
View attachment 5340

hell ya i am looking into a kit i found its the full AMG kit idk how good it is cost bout 1200 for everything to relocate. but thatll be later i just want a good sounding BOV for now and ill be happy till my funds get up there!!:cool:

35r

Its all personal preference. My boy is using an FP black with an upgraded TMIC and he made 800whp. What ever you want to do you can make work. Just be careful about doing performance upgrades for the look.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Its all personal preference. My boy is using an FP black with an upgraded TMIC and he made 800whp. What ever you want to do you can make work. Just be careful about doing performance upgrades for the look.

Link that build! What tmic did he use to keep up with that power?

oh hell ya and i am just getting to know this car i just think the fmic is better for air flow since it get it off that hot ass motor lol but i am still learning these cars as well but 800whp thats bad ass

zax

oh hell ya and i am just getting to know this car i just think the fmic is better for air flow since it get it off that hot ass motor lol but i am still learning these cars as well but 800whp thats bad ass

That would have nothing to do with airflow....

35r

You put a front mount on a car with a stock turbo or even an aftermarket one that isn't big enough, you will lag like crazy. You will be lucky if you start spooling at 5000.

You put a front mount on a car with a stock turbo or even an aftermarket one that isn't big enough, you will lag like crazy. You will be lucky if you start spooling at 5000.

ok well hell im guessin most subie owners leave it top mount then ive seen alot of them fmic too though im just debating whats better to do? and i like the look of a fmic but i love my car how it is as well lol

35r

Im going to try to help ya a little, there are a lot of things that you can do for looks and to make your car personalized for yourself and set it apart from others, such as Swapping a stock location part for an upgraded one, or anything aesthetic. But when it comes to performance parts, you simply cannot do things for looks. A FMIC while yes it looks cool, has a purpose. And if you are not at the point that you need to be when you put it on, you will do nothing but hurt your car. Things like that cant be done because you like how it looks. And keep that in this thread, there are others that may not be so kind or try to steer you in the right direction, and the last thing that you want is to be labeled as the guy who does things for looks. We will help as much as we can and teach you the right ways to do things. If you are willing to lean, you are in good hands. We got ya mang !

Last edited: