Need some old school V8 help and guidance.

Bluedemon_II

I have a Chevy 350 and want to do some mods to it. Nothing extremely wild, I just need a high torque, mean sounding engine.

I bought this engine to learn the workings of a classic v8 and have some fun after its done.

Basically this is going into a Jeep CJ5 box for use a few times on the year "xmas and summer"

So as for parts selection come, I was looking at the fallowing parts:
MSD Ignition 8362 - MSD Street Fire HEI Distributors
ARP 134-3601 - ARP High Performance Series Cylinder Head Bolt Kits
Summit Racing SUM-G2600 - Summit Racing? Gasket Sets for Small Chevy
Edelbrock 7501 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifolds
Edelbrock 1721 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Street Fuel Pumps
Clevite Engine Parts CB663HN - Clevite H-Series Rod Bearings
COMP Cams 2100 - COMP Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Sets
MSD Ignition 8226 - MSD Blaster GM Coils
Sealed Power Z4663M - Federal Mogul Main Bearing Sets
Sealed Power Z1235M - Federal Mogul Cam Bearings
Edelbrock 7102 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam and Lifter Kits or Summit Racing SUM-K1105 - Summit Racing? Cam and Lifter Kits
Holley 0-6210 - Holley Model 4165 Carburetors
Valve springs

So red items are the ones that i'm still not sure. I want a hard hitting cam, not worried so much about idle quality but don't want something that is pure nightmare to drive at slow speeds. Guess I'm asking to much? Really I know little about v8 but I'm reading as I go along. I want to rebuild it to hold punishment and around 400+hp.

Now I have an other doubt, should I run an electric water pump or a mechanical one?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Specially looking for cam, carb, fuel pump advice.

Paul.c

More importantly: will the jeep drivetrain be able to handle the abuse? Are you actually going to be offroading it? A good idle is important when offroading IMHO. I've snapped jeep axels with a 4 banger before.

Bluedemon_II

It's not for off road. It's for a festival where a group rides on the jeeps dressed in elaborate costumes. At a time there will be 16 ppl riding on the jeep. I don't need speed but I need it to hold the torque of the engine. If the stock jeep trans wont hold it then I will replace it with a chevy 350 manual. The engine comes with a 350 auto but I don't want to use it.

I can afford it since this will be something for the long run, I wont be buying all the parts at one time "If I could then the sti holset project would have been done long ago :lol:"

I know that there are bell housing adapters to use the jeep drivetrain but I just don't know if I will be using the jeeps trans or the chevys.

Paul.c

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the v8 tech discussion, but, I feel like if you're going to do the work you might as well do it right. If you want a good rig I would keep the auto tranny. But then you will be looking at new driveshafts and transfer case. Could get pricey. If you go with the jeep tranny Check out advance adapters they have an adapter for almost any engine to any tranny. Just wish they had an evo to sti tranny adapter:(

Just so I know, what pumpkins are in the jeep now?

Bluedemon_II

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the v8 tech discussion, but, I feel like if you're going to do the work you might as well do it right. If you want a good rig I would keep the auto tranny. But then you will be looking at new driveshafts and transfer case. Could get pricey. If you go with the jeep tranny Check out advance adapters they have an adapter for almost any engine to any tranny. Just wish they had an evo to sti tranny adapter:(

Just so I know, what pumpkins are in the jeep now?

Pumpkins? I lost you there lol. I still haven't bought the jeep. I just know what I'm going to do to the engine and jeep because I have seen this conversion on the festivals jeep and they just work amazing to haul 16-20 drunk dudes! So basically there wont be any dirt lunches or to many low rpm WOT conditions.

Thanks for the adapter tip. Going to check them out.

Now if we could get a seasoned veteran in here. Thinking of replacing some of the EB parts on the list to summit brand parts. Seams to be a lot cheaper that way. Any one care to comment on summit brand parts quality?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Summit has great parts! My Dad rocks the old school V8's!

Bluedemon_II

Summit has great parts! My Dad rocks the old school V8's!

Could you asking him what cam profile would give that very sexy idle lump that tricked out v8s have? I just need an engine with mad torque and a mean sound. At the current setup plan, it is not going to be raced.

Bluedemon_II

I got an Msd street fire ignition module and a Msd Blaster coil for the ignition system. I'm picking up the engine this Sunday.

As far as carburators go, Can't I just change the jets on the stock quadrajet to make it similar to a 650cfm carb?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I got an Msd street fire ignition module and a Msd Blaster coil for the ignition system. I'm picking up the engine this Sunday.

As far as carburators go, Can't I just change the jets on the stock quadrajet to make it similar to a 650cfm carb?

Nope. it is the size of the barrel itself that determines the flow rate of the carb. the jets only dial in the AFR. If your current carb is not specifically sized to flow 650cfm then you must replace it if 650cfm is what you want :tup:

Bluedemon_II

Nope. it is the size of the barrel itself that determines the flow rate of the carb. the jets only dial in the AFR. If your current carb is not specifically sized to flow 650cfm then you must replace it if 650cfm is what you want :tup:

So for my cam and head setup I need a bigger carb. The jets are adjustable or do I just replace one to the next size and try to dial A/F from there? Haven't had any luck finding a good source of info on carb tuning. As fas as differentials go, I was planing on keeping the stock rear end on the CJ5 jeep.

Paul.c

Well now that I know you wont be offroading it, it doesnt really matter. For durability I would think about full size (truck) axels or at a minimum a Dana44, but that is only if it sees anythink other than street with no launches.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would go with a larger carb. The jets need to be replaced in most of the carbs I'm familiar with. Unless they came out with something new. (it's been a while for me) The holley's are very easy to tune. Just start with the jets it comes with and then size them from there if you need more or less fuel. They sell the jet kits fairly cheaply these days.

Bluedemon_II

Ok I picked the engine up today and its already disassembled. All the cylinder liners are in perfect condition. No deposits of gunk in the crank case etc.

One thing that I'm still debating is, how can I convert my HEI distributor "5 pin module" so that I can bypass the HEI coil pack which is sucknes and use my msd coil. I know that my CDI module needs a reference to the pick up coil, I just don't know if I can by pass the HEI internal module that sits inside the distributor. Any one know?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I love a V8. I got nothing but love for a big block!

Bluedemon_II

I love a V8. I got nothing but love for a big block!

What about a small block chevy :D I just found out that the 350 that I bought is a 4 bolt main! Also for $400 I got the engine, accesories, auto trans and a new clutch, flywheel and pressure plate for the 350 manual trans.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good deal. I love all V8's to be honest. That's a good deal you got there.